Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rules and regulations.  (Read 2942 times)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Rules and regulations.
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »
Hi all  :wave: ,
Is it correct that if you buy fruit and vegatable from a shop of any sort that it is illegal to feed it to your pig(S)? ???
Ia m lead to believe that this is illegal to do this, unless the fruit and vegables are grown on your own land/property.
I fully underdstand that swill feed, household waste and any meat/animal by products are forbidden, but find it strange that that also applies to fruit and Veg from a shop????

HappyHippy

Re: Rules and regulations.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:12:39 pm »
It's the first I've heard of it, if that is the case StevieG.
As far as I'm aware (and I'm quite prepared to be corrected  ;) ;D ) it's fine to nip to Tesco (or anywhere else - other stores are available  :D ), buy a bag of banana's and feed them to your porkers......providing they don't enter your kitchen beforehand.

Karen  :wave:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 04:41:24 pm »
I think you're wrong Karen, if the veg comes from a greengrocer you are ok but not any shop that sells meat ie a supermarket. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:05:41 pm »
Okay BB, I stand corrected  :-[
We get ours from the Fruit market in Glasgow, so it's not a big worry for us  ;)

Stevie G here's a link to the DEFRA guide if you want a wee look for yourself (and have a spare couple of hours  ::) )
http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb7950-pig-code-030228.pdf
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »
if the shop store or even wholesalers sell meat or meat products and i think from memory dairy products that fruit and veg could be cross contaminated  it is getting more difficult to feed fruit and veg and be compliant :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:04:00 pm »
In E&W (not sure about Scotland) the current Defra guidance states

It is permissible to source certain types of former foodstuffs (see above), as well as fruit and
vegetables, from non-catering premises for feeding to pigs, but this must only be done from
those premises that either do not handle materials banned from being fed to pigs, or that have
(HACCP) procedures in place to ensure complete separation from prohibited materials, and

these procedures have been agreed with the local authority.

Most supermarkets have haccp procedures in place, and certainly if you were a veggie buying a bag of apples you'd be pretty disappointed to find that Tesco had been rubbed them against a steak before being packed ! So buying food is generally thought to be different - although as above technixcally the store does need to have told they LA.

If you taking waste from shops you'd need to check that they have handling procedures in place to keep waste seperate (and that these have been agreed) - as shops are not allowed to let waste meat go to landfill, you'll find that all supermarekets or multiples have procedures in place, and even single shops should have haccp in place.

Generally whilst if you're sensible there is no risk, it is better to just talk to your local AH office and get their view, and if you do, let us know on this forum what they say.  Suspect a no will be the easy answer for them.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS