Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very new to Pigs  (Read 2542 times)

wmff

• Joined May 2012
Very new to Pigs
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:06:18 pm »
Hi,
Just got my first pigs this week. Two middle white x, 8 weeks old. I have put them on an old vegetable plot that I want turning over. I feed them two pounds of grower pellets each per day over two sittings. Problems are: - Is it normal for them to spend the majority of the time in their hut? When they do come out they have a root around, a dip in their wallow, a quick drink then back to bed. Also they are not eating very much of the pellets, in the last three days they have only managed about a pound of pellets between them. Is this because they are filling up on roots and vegetation?
Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Very new to Pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:17:59 pm »
It probably is because they're finding lots of goodies, but just keep an eye on them for signs of scour - it could just be the change in diet (if you're feeding different to before) or it could be a sign of something else. The heat will probably see them less active too - it'll be cooler in their hut than outside, hence why they're in there all the time  ;)  Make sure they've got loads of water and if they don't seem to be improving much over the next 24 hours take their temperatures just to rule out any kind of problem.
But I can't stress enough how important water is when it's so hot - especially for little ones. And from bitter experience, don't assume they're drinking - make sure you see them drinking  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen  :wave:

wmff

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »
Thanks Karen for the reply, We do see them drinking and their poo seems nice? and solid. We just thought we would see empty troughs minutes after feeding time.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:53:45 pm »
Very good advice from Karen  :)

I would also cut back a bit on their pellets until they are a bit more keen and then gradually increase again.

A good rule of thumb that someone gave me (not sure who, so thank you if it was someone on here!)  is give them enough that they eat it all in about 20 mins.  If it takes them longer cut back, if it's all gone in a shorter time give them more.

Do keep an eye on them over the next few days though - water is so important especially in this lovely weather.

Enjoy your pigs and let us know how you get on. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:01:50 pm »
Just to add as they are pink pigs watch out for sunburn, its 26c here in Wales so keep an eye on them. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:23:49 pm »
Pigs are most active during the mornings and evenings it is very common to see pigs sleep all day long

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:56:55 pm »
Just to add as they are pink pigs watch out for sunburn, its 26c here in Wales so keep an eye on them. :wave:
we usually use factor 30 sun spray....esp on their  ears :pig: :pig:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:18:31 am »
Yes, its been very warm and sunny here in Wales. I have dolloped mine with mud all over their ears, down their backs and on their tails. They do the rest themselves in the wallow.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS