Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gosling  (Read 2062 times)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Gosling
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:31:16 am »
We found agreylag oing this morning  i would put it at a few days. Last year we found one, reared it and had to cull it as it was killing our neighbours chickens.  When OH found this, he was adamant he was going to take it away from the kennels and just put it in a field  he did this and it wandered back 

My 4 year old son is not eanting to abandon it.  Usually, he is pretty good at culling things but I have to say, it does have the awww factor.

My question is - if we get it a duckling to keep it company, will it be content and not kill the chickens?  i had heard the reason it did it, was because it was on it's own. Will a duckling, the same age stop this happening if we rear them together.

Now, I am not a soppy person and would usually just leave it, but it's so cute and my son thinks the same.  If the outcome will be the same as last year, I will do what is necessary though!

Thanks

Helen

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Gosling
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:12 pm »
A friend of mine has a solitary goose but it grew up with some ducklings so spends most of her time with them. They all share the same area with chickens and there have never been any problems. Only one example but she has never had a problem. Another friend had a small flock of geese and for some reason one of them hated her buff orpingtons (not any of the other chickens) and would kill them given a chance!

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:17 pm »
Thanks for that. Will have to look for a duckling.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS