Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newbie advice please  (Read 3249 times)

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
newbie advice please
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:36:26 pm »
hi please can you pass on some advice re keeping hens, i have cleared a space for them and ordered a house for them but i do not have a clue whats next, so how many , what sort, when, feeding? etc etc etc i live in an edge of village area with houses on both sides so noise is an issue i have dogs my slef and there are killer dogs next door which can jump my fence, i have cats around too.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: newbie advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:45:07 pm »
In my experience cats won't be a probelm. Killer dogs certainly will and so will boisterous, well meaning dogs. Sounds like you will have to keep your hens enclosed in a secure run.

How many you can have depends on the size of the house and run that you have, and the style of house.

I'd go for a few hybrids - any of the browns or other commercial hybrids until you find your feet a bit.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:15:21 am »
Hello Dreamer.

Have a look on my web site there are a few tips for new keepers there.

www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:39:31 am »
have watched cats stalk my chickens but thats about it they never attacked, the chickens seem to put it up to them. saying that if there was a moggy or a cat in killer mode id say they would have a go but im not sure. i got 6 hens and a rooster starting off converted an old trailer for them, they lay and sleep there but dont seem to take up much space they all huddle up on a perch about 4 foot wide when its bedtime. brown hybrids ive found to be very productive 1 a day off each for the last couple of months. if there are dogs about id keep them closed in. 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:09:09 am »
We have a number of farm cats near us they are not a problem. the tamest dog will be.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 10:19:11 am »
My dogs aren't killers but they r retrievers.  I keep a fence between the birds and the dogs, and let the birds out to roam after the dogs have had a run, then entice the birds back in after the next run for the dogs.  Strange dogs won't come near my garden as my big dog has a BIG bark!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:50:55 am »
Thanks for all the replys i will continue to read up as much as possible and ask for help when i need it if thats ok thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS