Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 20 watts to run our PC  (Read 2234 times)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
20 watts to run our PC
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:58:50 am »
Hello All,

Since we got our Owl electricty monitor we have become , well, dare I say it, obsessive about our electricty cnsumption - we know what our "standard running" cost is and anything over that and we're on the hunt for anything left switched on. To be fair it has saved us a few pennies, especially since our elecricity company - Airtricity - (we're in N.I. so we only have a choice of two !) sneaked in a 20% price rise.
Anyhow - being energy miserly didn't mean that we couldn't be without a PC. With our trusty eight year old Pentium 4 showing signs of imminent death we decided to go on the search for something more up to date and energy efficient. This is what we found - http://www.ocdistribution.com/ - it's the Xi3 modular PC.
We've had it now for a couple of weeks and the electricty monitor hardly notices it - using just 20 watts of power and what is even better is that with it's Tandem software - it can run as two PC's ! So now our two squabbling teenage daughters can use it at the same time.  Result.
Oh, and even just to look at it it's very cool.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: 20 watts to run our PC
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:59 am »
Looks interesting
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 04:25:54 pm »
20W  :o that's less than my laptop!

Hmm.. not too cheap though.

m

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:39:31 pm »
Indeed but 1) we needed a new PC, 2) we got two PC's more or less for the price of one and 3) the leccy bill is not really affected.
And the fact that you can literally run over this thing says oodles about it's build quality.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
I find this thread interesting ,
if I may I'd like to slide it side ways and ask if any of you readers have  got one of the latest tablets that are set to replace the old conventional PC & lapptops ?

I'm led to understand that their power consumption is absolutely miniscule but don't know anything about consumption of add- ons like printers , keyboards , external hard drives  and big 23 inch monitiors ... anyone care to comment?
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:55 pm »
That's pretty impressive. :thumbsup:

We have an effergy meter, although its batteries ran out a long time ago.  ::)   When it was running I became obsessive about usage. It was really handy though, since we were not long into the new house and getting used to the ground source heat pump and other new equipment.

Plantoid, an iPad uses around 2.5 watts on average. The 27" iMac on my desk uses 141 watts when running full steam. Most domestic printers are idle for 99+% of the time, and in sleep mode will be drawing almost nothing.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:44:30 am »
The consumption of a computer will vary according to how hard it is working but an idling Mac mini draws 13W

Does anyone with PV know if there is a way of getting reliable energy readings. When the PV is generating ours are wrong.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS