Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coppicing and Mushrooms anyone?  (Read 4203 times)

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
Coppicing and Mushrooms anyone?
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:59:21 pm »
I've started an experiment on some of my coppice stools of red maple, sweet gum and a variety of oaks.  One method of inoculating wood with mushrooms is to add mushroom spores to canola oil which is used to lubricate the chain saw chain.  Adding things up I elected to combine this technique with coppicing. 

I used oyster mushrooms since these mushrooms attack dead wood rather than live wood.  The root system of the stool (stump) provides moisture for the mushrooms. 

Pictures and, as always, free information at:  http://www.redbayfarm.com/Shiitake.html
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

daviddb

• Joined Feb 2009
  • pyrenees orietales
    • flickr pictures
Re: Coppicing and Mushrooms anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:10:27 pm »
Side stepping a little ( forgive me)  Canola oil for chain saw chain lubricant?? Any good?

regards

David

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:24:51 pm »
I've just spotted this post and as we're going to coppice some of our trees I was wondering if you've had any success Jim ? (Maybe it's too early, I'm not clued up on mushrooms)

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:26:30 am »
Yes canola oil infused with mushroom spores.  The concept was introduced by Paul Stamets.  You can find his product at Fungi Perfecti.  This year I am trying pearl oysters next year...shiitakes.  Fall is the best time for shiitakes.  Oysters are less demanding.

My neighbor and my father were dubious about using canola oil for chain lubricant on the saw...as an alternative, I simply tried the technique using a paint brush.  I ran the saw using the canola mushroom oil as a lubricant for most of the firewood cutting season...no problems.

As for the results...it looks promising.  For landowners with woodlots...right now this technique appears to be much less complicated as a means to raise mushrooms for personal consumption and maybe for sale.

Here is a photo of the top of a sweet gum stump/stool inoculated with the chain saw in late Feb. I removed the top for the picture...a slice is taken off the top and then put back on top the stool to maintain moisture to help the mushrooms grow.

http://www.redbayfarm.com/Shiitake.html

I didn't take pictures of a red maple stool which has numerous sprouts and on which the mushrooms seem to have taken hold.  I also used the technique on two different types of oak.

Only time will tell.  Cant wait to post some photos of stools with mushrooms and new growth...oysters only eat dead wood.

Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS