Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A gallon of whey counts as how much pig nuts?  (Read 2338 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
A gallon of whey counts as how much pig nuts?
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:33:31 pm »
Pretty much as per the subject. We've been using Colliewoman's simple recipe for making soft goats cheese and have masses of whey for the pigs. I know the 'four kg of fruit and veg equals one kg of pig nuts' rule but does anyone have a similar one for a gallon of whey?

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
Re: A gallon of whey counts as how much pig nuts?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:51:15 pm »
I doubt it's going to be a lot, simply because I give my pigs cream if they are getting too thin, which usually does the trick! Are you feeding them anything else alongside the whey? Because it needs to have the vital things, eg protein and fibre. Sorry that I don't know the actual amount though

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:38 pm »
I'd say dont use more than 20% of the feed as whey, at least at first. Then that way you can see what effects it has on the pigs.

I've looked up some basic info in my Animal Nutrition book it only gives whey in dried matter form (pig requirements will be aimed more towards commerical, but these are their basic requirments, so shoudnt make too much difference to the majority of breeds):
                                       Whey        needs of pig 50-90 kg       Sow pregnant        sow lactating:
DE (digestable energy): 1mj/kg                 13mj/kg                          13mj/kg              13.5mj/kg
CP crude protein:            106g/kg               175 g/kg                        120-140g/kg           150-180g/kg
Lysine:                            9.7 g/kg               10.0g/kg                        4.8 g/kg                    8.0g/kg
Tryptophan:                     1.9 g/kg               1.4g/kg                          0.7 g/kg                  1.4g/kg

basically the whey lacks a lot on its on, maybe even start with 10% and then work up to 20%, if you have good maths skills or a ration formulation programme you could work out exactly how much.
I don't think anyone would add more than 20% fruit and veg to the diet (as in to be a main part rather than use grains and legumes/soya), without having consulated someone with pig nutrional skills .                 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:32:50 pm by Pel »
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:32:08 am »
Ben, you can make a cheese from the whey :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS