Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Failed cheese making - any ideas for the leftovers  (Read 2685 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Failed cheese making - any ideas for the leftovers
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »
We had our first go at hard cheese making last night but as the starter hadn't yet arrived I just tried to make do with some buttermilk. I think the day was too hot and the innoculation went too far, but anyway we failed to get a clean break. Is there anything I can do with a gallon of failed cheese? Strain off the curd and try to make some ricotta with the whey? Or should I just give it to the pigs?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Failed cheese making - any ideas for the leftovers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:03:09 pm »
I would give the pigs a treat myself.....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »
Strain curd, add sugar, lemon & ginger, put on a sponge or biscuit base, there's a cheesecake!

Whey for pigs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:49 am »
Sounds like your rennet was off, or your milk was too cold when you added it, needs to be blood heat,  :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:40:58 pm »
Strain curd, add sugar, lemon & ginger, put on a sponge or biscuit base, there's a cheesecake!

Whey for pigs.

:yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS