Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Book about cattle  (Read 6248 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Book about cattle
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:07:50 pm »
Has anyone any recomendations for a book about keeping cattle for the novice that I am. :D
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

Re: Book about cattle
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:12:36 pm »
yes forget about the book go to agric college instead ;) :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »
Oh thanks for that Robert so helpful, not.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
not as daft as you think you are getting to work with them taught how to do the husbandry and none of the loses that you could have if you bought your own :farmer:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:11 pm »
These are the ones we've either got, or had recommended to us:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/category/cattle/

HTH.  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »
I think Tim Tyne is on the point of having a cattle book published - a companion to the excellent "Sheep book for Smallholders". I for one am looking forward to that. :cow: :cow: Maybe my girls are too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21:37 pm »
These are the ones we've either got, or had recommended to us:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/category/cattle/

HTH.  :)

Good list - but missing the truly excellent Cows for the Smallholder, also by Valerie Porter.  I'm sure I've sung its praises on here many a time...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »
Good list - but missing the truly excellent Cows for the Smallholder, also by Valerie Porter.  I'm sure I've sung its praises on here many a time...  :D

It's on now:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/cows-for-the-smallholder/   :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:04:04 pm »

It's on now:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/cows-for-the-smallholder/   :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:  Thanks, Dan  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »
Val Porters Cows for the Smallholder was the book which started me off  That was pre-Internet, but there is an excellent Amercian forum now on housecows.  I will try and find the link if I can.  I just wish it had existed when I was starting  :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 06:58:27 pm »
I have tried several times and several ways to post the link.  Is posting links no longer allowed?

Anyway if you type in Keeping a Family Cow it comes up under familycow.proboards
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »
I have tried several times and several ways to post the link.  Is posting links no longer allowed?

Yes, it's still allowed.  :)

What happens when you click the link icon (the second from the left on the second row)?

I get a pop-up window that lets me paste in a link - http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cgi

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:11:42 am »
I agree with Sally, I got Valerie Porter's book on her recommendation 2nd hand for a fiver via Amazon and there is a lot of interesting stuff in it, some dry humour and it seems a lot of experience behind the writing.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46:40 am »
Thanks everyone for your advice will get looking on line.
Robert I get where you're coming from but agri college is a bit OTT for what I'm doing. I am buying a cow off my mate who can't afford the feed and has very little grass. Her calf is coming to and I will wean it over the next few months and he will then have the calf back.I will get the cow in condition and most probably slaughter her.
If I had more land I would love a small herd but thats life.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 10:15:38 am »
BB with any animal it is all down to instinct and reading the signs  books could give you a basic understanding    i personally don't use books never have and never will  there biggest problem is the volume of books proclaiming to be the only one you will need    now don't get me wrong i can read and have read books Louis Pasteur and the  39 steps  the first gave me a greater understanding of anthrax and the second  made me a fan of the original film of that title and the second film  a complete dung miden compared to the first
then again it may well be the writer or just being a Scot :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS