Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: OSB sow illness  (Read 7616 times)

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
OSB sow illness
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:37 am »
I've got a sow who farrowed her second litter at the end of march, and she lost the whole of her first litter very early on. She has now developed some sort of infection of three of her teats, possibly mastitis, and these three teats are the ones which her three suckle from. They have swelled up, the skin is dry and papery and cracked in places, an also she has cuts in her nipple as well.

Also, during the spring, she got very wet, and hence very dirty, so she got sores on her feet etc, however she is  on the mend now, but she's lost lots of hair in places like the bottom of her bum and her chin, and now they are looking sore and red.

Is there something I can do? The piglets haven't been weaned off yet, but I'm debating whethe to put her straight back in with the boat or to wait a little. What do you reckon?

Cheers for any help!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: OSB sow illness
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:57:35 am »
Nic,
I don't know as I have only had my first 2 weaners for a couple of months but it doesn't sound to me as if she should go straight back to the boar. In fact maybe she shouldn't have another litter.

There are lots of experts on here who can give a proper answer, I am only responding from the point of view of what would seem best for her welfare.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:10:35 am »
But she is a great mum, and the only reason she lost her first litter was due to a problem on our side so that we couldn't mover her out of the field and into a pen in time, and so the boar killed them. I guess that I will see what she's like after weaning the piglets, but she is a lovely pig, and would be a shame to lose her..!

Do you think I should wean the piglets off sooner rather than later? They are nearly 8 weeks, so will be OK on their own.

Thanks Sally

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:12:47 am »
Nic,
If they are nearly 8 weeks then I would wean them. It would give her a break.  At 8 weeks our OSB's had already been weaned and we brought them home. They have been doing really well.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:20 am »
When was she last wormed ? (with an injectable wormer ?)
It sounds like she might have mange  :-\  So get her wormed asap  :thumbsup: 
But I've never seen mange affect feet  ???  That would be a worry for me - check her temp, check her eyes, ears and nose and maybe get a shot of anti-biotics for her or even better the vet out to have a look.
The teats she's feeding from will be very swollen, but if they feel very hot to the touch it could well be mastitus - again anti-b's will help and you can put human nipple cream or sudocreme onto her udder to help soothe it a bit  :thumbsup:
With her last litter - were they born and then died or did she abort and reabsorb the preganancy ?
If they died shortly after birth it could have been that they didn't get colostum or perhaps if she had a worm burden some kind of placental crossover ?
I'd definately give her a wee while to get back to full fitness (and rule out erysepilas) before putting her back to the boar - as long as she doesn't get too fat you'll be fine and her fertility shouldn't be affected. Others will be along too with their take on it - so you'll get plenty of advice  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:27:41 am »
Okay, just seen the bit about the boar - so ignore that bit  ;)
As long as the piglets are eating on their own there's definately no problem weaning at 8 weeks.
I always give the sow half rations on the first day after weaning (3lbs in 2 meals but a bit of fruit and veg if you've got it) to reduce the chance of mastitus and help dry her off. Plenty of water though, especially with it being hot (for the piglets too)
HTH
Karen x

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:37 am »
Nic
Hate to be blunt but what the feck was she doing in with the boar so close to farrowing. Regardless of circumstances your sows welfare is of utmost importance and reading your missive you appear to have behaved very badly in looking after her.
DO not put her back to the boar yet, wean her piglets at 8wks they're old enough, take her away from them then worm her(noramectin/dectomax) jab, for a couple of days keep her rations to a couple of pound of nuts until her milk dries up and then up them so she gains some condition. Re her teats get in touch with your vet and get some tubes of Ampicillin (they're for cows but can be used well in pigs) and rub her teats she may also need a jab of long lasting antibiotic.
When considering your pregnant sows consider how you would want to give birth and apply the same accordingly!
For her feet it sounds like foot rot which is prevalent at this time of year you need to get her somewhere dry, wash her feet in saline water and dry and then apply terramycin spray betwen the trotters for a week.
Sorry but because of your neglect you're going to have a big vets bill and it might teach you to look after her a bit better.
One thing i cannot abide or will not tolerate is badly kept animals. There are no excuses. In times of circumstancial change there should always be a back up plan in place. Planning is everything in farrowing so remeber this lesson.
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:00 pm »
is pig keeping really for you   i have not had a pig with footrot  and this is Scotland  :farmer:

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »
Firstly, she hasn't got foot rot, because I know what that looks like, as I have seen it plenty of times in sheep and this was definitely not the same thing. It was simply because her feet got wet and so they became sore, but now the pen has been dried up and re-bedded, the foot problem has cleared up completely.

As you should know Mandy, it is very difficult to tell when a pig is ready to drop and as this was her maiden litter, we didn't know what she was going to look like, as you should also know that they have less piglets in this maiden litter. We knew that the piglets could be arriving soon, so we were going to move her into the shed the next day, however overnight she farrowed, but let me make this clear that we were not completely clear that she was in pig to start with, and she had taken 4 months to get into pig, so that is why she was still with the boar.

Also, I'm not sure how I have treated her badly, she has simply gained an infection. This is the first problem that I have had, except from the two boars in the other post - which I wouldn't see as a problem anyway. I have been keeping pigs for 2 years, and this is the only problem, so I would appreciate it if you didn't judge my skills openly, however I would appreciate positive advice, not criticism.

Thank you for the advice Karen, and that will definitely be followed up.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »
is pig keeping really for you   i have not had a pig with footrot  and this is Scotland  :farmer:

You've been lucky, we suffer with it from time to time and i put it down to the amount of sharps in our land which penetrate the pad of the trotter, pig normally starts to limp and won't put weight on offending hoof, i bring them in dry them, bathe twice daily in saline, dry and spray terramycin. It normally clears up quite quickly. If it persists usually have to give an antibiotic as infection can get into foot but only if heat or swelling are present. Our old Delia used to be a martyr to bad feet but she was 49 stone! She used to have to have horse medicine as they had nothing suitable for her size, god bless her soul!(miss her loads coz she was a grumbler ;D )
Mandy  :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:32 pm »
 :)
Firstly, she hasn't got foot rot, because I know what that looks like, as I have seen it plenty of times in sheep and this was definitely not the same thing. It was simply because her feet got wet and so they became sore, but now the pen has been dried up and re-bedded, the foot problem has cleared up completely.
As you should know Mandy, it is very difficult to tell when a pig is ready to drop and as this was her maiden litter, we didn't know what she was going to look like as you should also know that they have less piglets in this maiden litter. We knew that the piglets could be arriving soon, so we were going to move her into the shed the next day, however overnight she farrowed, but let me make this clear that we were not completely clear that she was in pig to start with, and she had taken 4 months to get into pig, so that is why she was still with the boar.

Also, I'm not sure how I have treated her badly, she has simply gained an infection This is the first problem that I have had, except from the two boars in the other post - which I wouldn't see as a problem anyway. I have been keeping pigs for 2 years, and this is the only problem, so I would appreciate it if you didn't judge my skills openly, however I would appreciate positive advice, not criticism.
Thank you for the advice Karen, and that will definitely be followed up.

Good i'm glad to hear it though foot rot in sheep is not entirely the same as in pigs

No signs??  have you not read any of the books, signs are visible usually up to ten days before and certainly 24hrs before)and as this was her maiden litter, we didn't know what she was going to look like,(again look at pics in Carol harris book its an invaluable guide) as you should also know that they have less piglets in this maiden litter. ( you should still have had a better idea of her due date and one of my girls had 17 in her maiden litter so thats disputes that fact)
however I would appreciate positive advice, not criticism. I offered advice which you think you know better about so be it and if you can't take criticism don't post we can only offer advice against what you write i also ofeer from bitter experiencce having lost a sow to mastitis because i was too cowardly to stand up to my OH who thought i was overpampering her by changing her bedding all the time so i stopped doing it so often she got a bite on a teat, became infected, mastitits reared its head, which became blood poisoning which lead to her very awful death right in front of me, something i would not wish on anyone (even you  ;) )
 Karen is very wise and much more diplomatic than me, which is what makes life interesting i call a spade a shovel and shoot from the hip.
Hope your sow feels better soon and in the future she gives you a stunning litter, but heed what 've said.
mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:48:32 pm by Fowgill Farm »

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
and Mandy is more diplomatic than myself  i call a spade the correct terminology and have been banned for being right to the point
it is amazing how some can be critical and not know that persons involvement in that subject
any breeding of any kind  of animal should be accompanied with proper records date of service then anticipated date of birth for that species and records kept of survivors is it pedigree pigs you have :farmer:

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:07 pm »
I am completely aware of this, as I have read up on this, but there are always exceptions, such as your girl with 17 piglets.
You may not be akin with OSBs but they tend to have smaller litters than some  other pigs, which obviously don't show as much.

I appreciate the help you gave me with medications and such, but simply criticizing the way I look after my pigs, which you have no idea about - as I have only posted the problems, I am not going to boast about how well my other 10 pigs are doing am I? I'm here to make links with other small holders which I could possibly do business with, not take part in criticism. This is the place to get your questions answered and receive help and advice, not to get criticized.

Sorry to hear about your pig.

Robert, I am aware of this. As you said, we're all different; you call spades shovels and shovels spades, and I found a few of Mandy's remarks ruder than they had to have been.

No they are not pedigree unfortunately, we did think about it, but decided against it, just because I'm just a small-holder, and not looking for anything on a large scale.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:16 pm »
that is Mandy in the  bad baby corner then  it really is quite nice and invokes a lot of sympathy
part of having pedigree pigs is keeping proper records   and a lot of pedigree breeders have less pigs than yourself :farmer:

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 01:15:32 pm »
Ok, will look in to it!

Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS