Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Uh oh... OSB boars  (Read 2017 times)

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
Uh oh... OSB boars
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:47 am »
I've got two OSB boars around, un-castrated, born in September 2011, and measured them up the other day, and one was 150kg..! I'm now worried about the quality of meat, firstly when does the 'boar taint' start to appear? And will the meat now be too chewy?

If the meat isnt going to be very good, should I just sell them as boars instead?

Thanks   :pig:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:32:46 pm by NicAlford1234 »

HappyHippy

Re: Uh oh... OSB boats
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:24 am »
I'm not going to comment on the whole boar taint issue - have a look back through the pig section for millions of topics on it  ;) 
The pork should still be fine though  :thumbsup:  If you're not convinced, get the butcher to make you sausages and burgers (BBQ season after all  ;) ) curing can sometimes emphasise any taint which is there, so avoid making bacon/hams if you're at all unsure.
Oh, and doule check your abattoir can take them at that size  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:09 am »
Get them booked in at the butchers NOW.
You really need to do something about your pig keeping planning, is keeping pigs really for you?
mandy  :pig:

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:34 am »
I keep mine to 8 months for bacon and they are fine
Arl

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:55:25 am »
another bad day Mandy    they might be to fat as well for 150 kilos in 10 months  the meat will be alright for eating   well what does happen to all the old cast sows and boars  they get eaten you will find out when you eat the pork or fry the bacon  that is if you are one that can detect it
scalding tanks might be an issue but they can always skin them  and if they do you are likely to get a carcass back in the region of 75 kilos minus the head and trotters :farmer:

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28:44 pm »
OSBs don't put on fat as easily as other pigs though, so this may not be a problem. They are booked in for this week, so hopefully we will have caught it. Last year we killed one at 14 months, which although was old, she had been quite small, however this pork tasted great, and have subsequently made bacon from it.

Thanks Robert.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS