« on: April 20, 2009, 03:27:32 pm »
intersting programme on the Beeb I player about rain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jz8gj/The_Weather_Rain/

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:10 pm »
Can't get BBC iPlayer in Ireland and we are the experts on rain here!! In fact its got to the stage if a day goes by without it you start to think about a drought!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:13:08 pm »
you are meant to be working, not taking liberties at your employers expense!!!!  :o

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:24:33 pm »
I hate to say this but I hope it rain tonight. It's so dry - the grass seed we sowed is just lying on the ground (except where the hens have eaten it).

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:19:45 pm »
forecasts are predicting it rosemary

i've made myself a "lawn sofa" - i dug a pond and with the mound of earth left over i shaped it into a sofa and put some turf on it. It's a bit patchy still, so i've to sown some grass on it to complete it - i'm sowing some meadow grass with flowers in it to make it look pretty!! I better get the seed out soon if it's to rain!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:53:36 pm »
Hey, what a superb idea - I have an 'earth mountain' (grandkids' nickname for it) as a result of building a conservatory.  I've been whittling away at it for raised beds, borders, pots etc but there's still a helluva lot of it there.  Think I'll try your idea - could plant thyme all around it - do i face it down the garden - south, or up the garden - North, or west towards the dog runs! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:05:16 pm »
i face mine into the sun so i can lounge out on it all day

i had thought about planting thyme, rosemary and lavender on it and some heathers to give it some colour and a lovely smell, guess you culd do it with camomile too

it's very comfy!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:09:39 pm »
Got and drawings/plans I could follow? ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:41 am »
uhm, take pile of earth, make it into a sofa shape, add grass!

though i would say you should try to avoid vertical edges (falls apart) and it's better to use turf than sow from seed.

make it wide enough for you to lie flat on  :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:32 am »
C'mon - I need more than that - I'm a wumman! ;)  Or so it was said the other day when my dog was criticised fro being too good looking!  You'll never train that to work, you're a wumman!  Talk about red rags !  I WAS joking about the drawings, btw.  I'll have a go this afternoon, providing it doesn't rain, which is looking like right now.  I'm babysitting baby grand-daughter this morning :-* :love:

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:38:32 am »
That sounds a good idea.  Would love a camomile one.  Just think, sitting out on a warm afternoon with the scent all around you :farmer: But once again I live in Ireland and it just doesn't like growing here - its (back to the subject) all the rain!!
By the way, only just seen the comment above about me not working, I was yesterday afternoon otherwise I would have answered! - I'm not again now and I just don't care :P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS