Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castration question again  (Read 2973 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Castration question again
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:15:45 am »
We had considered doing castration with our first litters in March but in the end did not go ahead as there weren't enough boys, and the ones we had are now all sold.   But I had a good look at what was there at 3 days old and it was almost nothing at all - no visible shape to the testicles at all, more like flat skin.   Is it really possible to find and see what needs to be removed at such a very young age?   Whatever it is must be miniscule.   Would it be very cruel to wait until they were 6 or 7 days old?    Piglets grow at such an astronomical rate in those first few days, and something resembling tiny pouches were visible by the end of the first week.   Thanks - Tamsaddle   

robert waddell

Re: Castration question again
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:36:04 am »
we cut at 4 days and yes it is tiny that is the point of cutting at that age
it is illegal to just cut without having suppervised training from a vet or other competent person
it is also worth pointing out that you are doing an open wound to the piglet and would advise against castrating and just letting them run about in the soil  even if you do use teramycine spray :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:05:23 am »
We do it on day 3 (they get their iron jabs then, so we just get it all over with in one go  ;) )
Echo what Robert says about not letting them out - we keep then in til the wounds have healed before letting them out, usually by day 7  :thumbsup:
If you think it's bad with big pigs - you should try finding a Kunekune testicle at that stage  ::) 
We have a friend who wanted us to show him how to castrate them himself, once he realised it was like trying to find a grain of sand in a purse he understood why the vet does them at 6 weeks old normally  :D
If you decide to have another go, hold the piglets so their bums are pointing downwards - gravity should help them 'drop'  :thumbsup:  The welfare regs state that if it's done after day 7 of life it should be carried out by a vet.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
Many thanks for your replies.  If we go ahead with the next litter we will certainly have the vet over to show us what to do, as we would have done the previous time - I wouldn't dare try it without proper instruction the first time.    Interesting point about not letting them out until day 7;  will be mighty complicated as mum has to get out of the arc to wee poo eat and drink, and all the babies follow, but I expect we can sort something out if we decide to go ahead with it.   At least I now know we are looking for something the size of a grain of sand;  I had hoped it might have been about the size of one uncooked lentil or grain of rice, wishful thinking indeed.   Tamsaddle

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »
it is a bit bigger than a grain of sand   :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »
They are bigger than grains of sand Tamsaddle - about the size of a small grape or blueberry  ;)
It was the Kunekunes who had itsy bitsy bits at 3 days  :o   ;D

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:11:09 pm »
I had two OSB piglets castrated last week by the vet, they were 6 weeks old. Would recommend doing it earlier, simply because it will cause less discomfort I think.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »
we cannot use anesthetic  the cut of date for us doing it is without local anesthetic   any piglet once there is air below its trotters  it is distressed  unless it has been well handled by children and adults alike :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS