Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large Black Gilt  (Read 5164 times)

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
Large Black Gilt
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:34:47 pm »
Hi,
I'm looking for a Large black gilt, preferably available to buy in lat summer nearish Exeter. Am happy to buy two, but if available in late summer, I have some OSB's at similar ages.
Anyone got any weaners lying around which are up for grabs?

Also; what will an OSB boar and Large black sow produce? What would they look like?

Cheers

HappyHippy

Re: Large Black Gilt
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:10:57 am »
I'll have some ready to go September time (and should have some of the rarer Diana and Warbler lines) but I'm all the way up in central Scotland.......... if you don't find any closer to you, we'd be happy to meet you halfway  ;)
It's also worth having a look on the Large Black website and email Janice (seretary) if you're still struggling to find any - she knows where everybody is and who has what available  :thumbsup:
Haven't crossed OSB and Large Black, but I'd imagine the piglets might be a bit spotty - the pork will be great though  :yum:
HTH
Karen x

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:16:09 am »
Thanks, will keep you posted!

That's what I was thinking... And the quality of meat should be really good!!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:24 pm »
going by your other posts is it wise to be expanding but that is your choice
crossing can be such fun just waiting for that piglet scrunched out to see the colouring osb boar with a large black gilt will in all probability produce some if not all piglets being black crossing the other way could see a bigger variation   saddelback or Hampshire boar covering a tamworth sow will produce black or black and white piglets crossed the other way you have a tendency to get ginger saddelbacks or Hampshire's :farmer:

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:08 pm »
Thanks Robert. I understand that I would get better colourings the other way, but keeping an OSB and Large Black boar at the same time could be too difficult, even though by OSB boar is very docile.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:34:35 pm »
i am not encouraging you get more boars but we have 1 tamworth and 4 Hampshire boars  3 of them working but it is down to management :farmer:

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:36:16 pm »
Is it not difficult to keep them apart though? I know with bulls that they fight, is it the same with boars?

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »
to the death :farmer:

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »
Haha ok! Won't be doing that in a hurry then, just incase!

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 01:16:26 pm »
and will take you with them   steel and solid walls are the only safe way to separate
yes docile on its own if it gets the scent of another boar  change completly :farmer:

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 01:39:46 pm »
I sometimes think the osb gene may not be as strong as some of the other pig genes because i have a saddleback sow wich i got by default and crossed her with my osb boar and twice you would swear that they were pure saddleback not a brown hair in sight.
Arl

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »
Ok thanks! That's worth knowing :)

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
arl that is what i was saying they take of the sow the predominance of markings  lop crossed with Hampshire produces a predominately white pig with just a smattering of black but they are referred  to as blue/greys :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 02:15:16 pm »
I sometimes think the osb gene may not be as strong as some of the other pig genes because i have a saddleback sow wich i got by default and crossed her with my osb boar and twice you would swear that they were pure saddleback not a brown hair in sight.
Arl
Sally in t'north has an OSB sow, crossed with saddleback boar - gave saddleback looking piglets too.
Kinda blows the sow predominance theory out the window  :-\  Maybe the Saddleback is just a more predominant gene than the OSB ? Anyone want to research it  :D

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »
If that is the case, then what would happen with a OSB boar and saddle-back sow? Same again  I assume...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS