Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injection Questions :-)  (Read 6490 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Injection Questions :-)
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:41:26 pm »
Hi All

I have just given my sheep a dose of Heptovac P+ - Vet says next injection in two weeks - but everywhere else I look says 4-6 weeks - any thoughts?

Also we have Zwartbles and live next to a commercial sheep farmer whose sheep are not injected. They regularly come into our paddocks - are my sheep at risk of catching anything?

Many Thanks

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Injection Questions :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:53:52 pm »
I've just bought the same stuff and was told 6 weeks before next injection

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »
  4 to 6 weeks as per instructions you get with the bottle. 
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:10 pm »
Hi All

I have just given my sheep a dose of Heptovac P+ - Vet says next injection in two weeks - but everywhere else I look says 4-6 weeks - any thoughts?

Also we have Zwartbles and live next to a commercial sheep farmer whose sheep are not injected. They regularly come into our paddocks - are my sheep at risk of catching anything?

Many Thanks
The main risk would be things like scab I would think. Since sheep dipping stopped being compulsory it has been making a comeback. Also they are not obeying the livestock movement rules, everyones sheep get out occasionally but if a regular thing they should be taking steps to stop it, failing which trading standards/animal health could be informed.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:25:26 pm »
Could you repair the fence?

Good fences make good neighbours and all that. Sounds like your neighbour is less concerned about his/her sheep coming on your land than you are which - in my experience - is usually the case.

We didn't bother getting into a dispute with the neighbouring field owner about who's responsibility it was to look after the fence - the fact was that we didn't want his sheep coming onto our field so we fixed the problem.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:58:16 pm »
I thought Heptavac was second injection two weeks after the first.
First injection was at 4 to 6 weeks
Best thing to do rather than asked us as we're all seemingly confused is read the leaflet that's with any medication animal or human.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:34:42 pm »
No confusion here clearly states in instruction leaflet 4 to 6 weeks between doses. ( No where in the instructions does it say 2 weeks ! )
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:16:01 am »
We give the ewes a booster injection 3-4 weeks before they are due to lamb (prediction not all that accurate as we can't keep an eagle eye on when each one was covered).

We do first injection when the youngest lamb is three to four weeks old and then all of them again four weeks after that.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:29:18 am »
No confusion here clearly states in instruction leaflet 4 to 6 weeks between doses. ( No where in the instructions does it say 2 weeks ! )
Agree with this but it's clearly a common mistake, our vet told us to do second one 2 weeks later....:-)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:52:53 am »
Nope, four to six weeks is best, the memory cells within the blood are best boosted four to six weeks after the first dose, two weeks is too quick to get a proper response. This is standard for most first vaccinations. The cells are then prompted on a yearly basis after that.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:40 am »
Agree with this but it's clearly a common mistake, our vet told us to do second one 2 weeks later....:-)

Your absolutely right about the instructions -  what may be causing the confusion is the 2 ml dose or it says a inject 2 - 3 weeks before an expected pasteurella outbreak.

If in doubt read the instructions, which we all should have learned by now. Unless you use Apple products ( i Pod, Pad, Phone ) as they don't seem to come with any.  ;D ;D
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »
If in doubt read the instructions, which we all should have learned by now. Unless you use Apple products ( i Pod, Pad, Phone ) as they don't seem to come with any.  ;D ;D

Uh, yeah - they're intuitive, right?   ;)

Actually, for the most part, they are, too.  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 07:48:12 pm »
Would you like a nice strong pedigree registered Zwartbles ram lamb (Heptavaced !!)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS