Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foxes  (Read 10867 times)

warrenthewindmill

• Joined May 2012
Foxes
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:49:33 pm »
I've been an accidental smallholder for 18 months and have lost a steady stream of hens and now ducks to foxes.  We have 5 acres bordering a busy road on one side but fields on the other.  Our duck pond, unfortunately is close to the hedge on the field side.  I spotted a fox crossing the fields a couple of weeks ago early in the evening since when we have lost another couple of ducks.
All our poultry are completely free range but are put away at night.  Less than two hours ago I was sitting in the sunshine on a lounger, about 50 feet from the pond but with my back to it.  I heard the sound of 10 ducks taking to the water and turned round to see an adult male fox (I think)
It saw me and legged it back through the hedge!
I've seen this question asked often online.  Is there any effective way of keeping foxes away?  I'd prefer not to shoot them but could get a shotgun licence and would be prepared as a last resort to do this. 
Every other suggestion I've seen seems to divide opinion as to whether they are actually effective or not.  So the following spring immediately to mind but I doubt this list is conclusive: Human Male urine, electric fences, alpacas, Lllamas, Guinea fowl, ultrasonic fox deterrents.
Speaking to a new neighbour I am told that this area has never had hunts across it and so there are plenty of foxes around.  He reckons he's seen groups of adult foxes together on many occasions over the 20 years he's lived in the area.  Is there any reliable way of deterring foxes short of a gun?  If not I'll apply for a licence.  If so I'll take that option.

robert waddell

Re: Foxes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:05:14 pm »
you wont get a shotgun licence to kill foxes you need a bigger gun than a 22 rifle and it would be doubtfull if you would get a licence anyway best way is get somebody that has a gun to give them permission to shoot them :farmer:

warrenthewindmill

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:18:26 pm »
Why would I not get a licence? Does your reply mean you think guns are the only solution

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:37:04 pm »
you do not have enough land for the backdrop if you can get  close enough with the shotgun it will only be once  and they don't just hand them out like ( licences )  lucky bags   if you trap them you have still got to dispose of them  :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:49:50 pm »
yuo can 'try' any way you like, but shooting is the sure way as robert suggests.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »
Hi Warrenthewindmill. There were two kinds of fox, urban and rural. Rural kept to night because of hunting, urban has no fear and wonders about during the day anywhere. Since hunting was banned and shotguns are even harder to get the distinction has becomed blurred. Urine cannot be relied upon, although we use it along one boundary with success. But a 50 metre run is all I can manage to maintain as the first rain and the scent has gone. The other boundary has an electric line on top of a wall after a fox strike last Christmas in broad daylight. Problem with wire fences they can see their prey through them and they will keep coming around looking for a way in. When the energiser is down they can sense it. So you need a big secure fence.

If you joined a recognised clay shooting club you would get your shotgun licence. I have 36 gramme BB cartridges for foxes, but you won't get a clean kill even with those over 30 yards. It wouldn't be legal to use one on your land because you need to allow 400 metres for shotfall. No chance of getting a rifle certificate nor anyone to use one on your land because of consideration of the landing of the bullet in the event of a mistake, which could be a mile away.

The only method I think you could rely on is a pair of large dogs. Friend of mine had Ridgebacks in South Africa. A lion got into the compound and they killed it. The bitch (with pups) in the conservatory went through a glass window to help the dog fight it. I suggest a pair of them as they are very quiet, but ruthless.

warrenthewindmill

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
So the problem with gun licences is proximity to the road? 

A friend of mine has a Ridgeback so I can imagine what they might do to a fox.  We have three labs already so another two might be a bit much.

You say that urine has reported some success so of the less than 100% alternatives does anyone have a view on the most reliable?  So for example if I installed ultrasonic fox deterrents and urine and etc etc.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 06:43:42 pm »
Have you got a local gamekeeper?  ???

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:22 pm »
So the problem with gun licences is proximity to the road? 

A friend of mine has a Ridgeback so I can imagine what they might do to a fox.  We have three labs already so another two might be a bit much.

You say that urine has reported some success so of the less than 100% alternatives does anyone have a view on the most reliable?  So for example if I installed ultrasonic fox deterrents and urine and etc etc.

the problem with the gun licence is controlling where the bullet will land if you miss, ie the backdrop. to my knowledge there is no known reliable fox deterent, they learn too quick. however, i would walk the labs regularly around the borders to your land, peeing as you go! the combined scent would act as a deterent, but not for ever. there is probably a local fox remover/ gamekeeper. try them?

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:59:47 pm »
We have had 3 chickens killed by a fox on one occassion he came back 3 times in one morning, doesn't seem to be afraid of humans. Our 12yr old lab chased him one morning but don't think that will deter it. We got the number of a chap with a gun and license at the local feed mechants and he comes out to shot rabbits and to try to get the fox, but no luck yet. I don't like killing things but needs must sometimes.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

warrenthewindmill

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »
Our local feed merchants have tried themselves to get someone with a gun to assist with their rabbit problem but the shooter failed to show!  I think they have plenty of choice (shooters and foxes) locally.

So 21st Century man is defeated by a fox?

What if I could find the sett,  rather than wait for him to come calling again?  BTW we are very definitely in the country here so don't think the fox would be urban.  That said, striding across our field in search of lunch displays the confidence of an urban fox.

Or does it simply mean we have to live in the knowledge we will suffer regular losses if we insist on letting the ducks and hens roam free?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »
urban foxes are regularly released in rural settings. the 21st century fox is foiled only by a man with a gun or a sophisticated fence.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »
Urban foxes are released regularly, illegal though it is. Farmer we bought some hens from had two released that wandered straight into his yard where his chickens were. They were shot moments later. Even if you shoot them they will be replaced so you can't rely on that either. If you don't have a Countrywide cull the problem will always exist. 20 years ago it was all different. 20th Century man had the balance right. A ban on hunting with hounds and an overly-stringent control of shooting has created the problem and it won't now go away.

So I think Warreninthewindmill permanent enclosure is really the only option.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 07:36:25 pm »
hear hear. ba....d things.

gmacp

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Whipsnade
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 07:52:50 am »
I have a ridgeback - we had foxes in our paddock when we moved in 5yrs ago - they all moved out within a matter of weeks and haven't seen one since....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS