Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rare breed premium  (Read 3157 times)

robert waddell

rare breed premium
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:16:18 pm »
was talking to a friend on sat who had a couple of saddelbacks he put them to st Andrews and was charged a £5 extra as a rare breed premium   never come across this before  and am curious as to why
i am tempted to put a Hampshire there just to find out if they are just coming it with small breeders and occasional users
anybody else come across this  and a warning to all in the east that use them :farmer:

chickenfeed

Re: rare breed premium
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 02:02:15 pm »
thats a newone on us our local sales class a pig as a pig and charges are across the board. the only difference in pig prices around here any coloured pigs sell way below the whites. a white rare breed will still draw in buyers.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »
Nope, never heard of that from any of the abattoirs I use either  ???

I think Rosemary uses St Andrews (or has done in the past) hopefully she'll come along soon  ;) 
It does kinda sound like they're chancing it though  :-\

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:01:50 pm »
No wonder rare breeds are rare if that's how theyre treated  :'( >:(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:10 pm »
Never had pigs killed at St Andrews only sheep.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:33:51 am »
Not heard of it here in yorks so think they're just chancing it and maybe don't want to deal with smallholders, OH was at our abbattoir yesterdady and they would be glad of any business they've gone down from a 60hr wek to a 40hr wek things are that quiet they mainly blame it on the pub & resteraunt trade dying off as people stop going out for a steak etc as the credit crunch bites deeper.
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:05:17 am »
we have used them in the past it is just the travelling that stops us now they also take big sows
they are part of lawrie and symington which has a few establishments wishaw being one one of them i am just wondering if it is an add on for a contingency fund in case they lose another pig
the gentleman that informed me had to take them there as puddledub were doing the slicing and dicing and the bacon curring or he would have used shotts :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS