Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Digging up nettles  (Read 4356 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Digging up nettles
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »
As you can see from the photo.. when we got our place we couldn't even see this pond (and another now filled in) due to all the nettles.

Three wheelie bins full of just the roots later and I think some headway has been made.

Do you have to get every scrap of root out like some other plants to be sure they won't grow back... as some seem to have the strength of steel cables when trying to prize them out of the ground!

www.escapedtothecountry.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Digging up nettles
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:14:06 pm »
Yes you have to get out every bit, including the tiny yellow filaments.  Then when you've done that you realise they propagate themselves by seed as well  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:48:49 pm »
i just tease the roots out with the fork and keep teasing tilli reach the end of the root run, how useful it is that they are yellow!!

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:31:40 pm »
Use the nettles!  Put everything in a plastic sack and let it rot.  Either that or put it in a barrel (with a lid - you'll need it - it stinks) with water.  Nettle tonic for your veg plot.

Then hire a flame weeder and make 4 (yes 4) passes over the ground after it has rained.  The rain creates steam which kills everything much more efficiently.  You'll leave nice rich potash debris in the ground.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:39 pm »
It isn't the nettles per se that it the issue but the roots larger than many tree roots that have woven a think carpet and got down well over 1 foot across a huge area.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 02:25:17 am »
Piggies!

Or, mulch carpet / tarp for many months, after which the roots will be much easier to pull out of the now quite friable soil.  At least, that worked for me on my plot in Exmoor some years ago.  I guess growing potatoes and then having another go at the nettle roots once the spuds are lifted would come to much the same thing.

I guess chemicals would also work  :(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:27:53 pm »
nettles are like a virus here! never rid of them. but as for the roots yes every little bit!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:15:05 pm »
Grazon gets rid of nettles a treat .
Cut them down , rake off the cut nettles for the liquid feed . Don't use the compost heap asthey aren't usually killed in it if there are any seeds there .

When the regrowth is 3 inches tall zap them with the correct mix of grazon and bob's you uncle no more nettles in that area. If you rotavate the area you may well need  re treat the new germination of nettle seeds that have lain dormant for many years in the soils

One good thing though is that if you can grow nettles you can grow almost all UK veg crops as the pH is ideal in most cases.

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS