Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: swollen eye  (Read 3415 times)

suzie b

• Joined May 2012
  • south lanarkshire
swollen eye
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »
Can anyone advise please? My little white star pullet has a swollen eye. No sign of infection and the eye itself looks normal just swollen shut. She's eating and drinking plenty but keeps tucking her head under her wing or tilting her head. We just got her 4 days ago and her eyes were normal. The others(5 hens) are all fine but there's some pecking whilst they're sorting out the pecking order. Should I bathe it? I'm taking her to vet in the morning but want to ease her discomfort tonight. :chook:
\m/  \m/

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: swollen eye
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:36:24 am »
Hopefully the vet has had a look under the lid Suzie. It's usually a foreign body. Could also be a peck or start of an ILT flareup with the stress of the move. Sure it will be resolved.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:19:33 am »
Is her chest rattly or any snuffling/sneezing. Swollen eyes usually indicate a respiratory problem.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:31:56 pm »
I had a problem with two new hens, both had swollen faces but no other symptoms.  In the end, I put a drop of cider vinegar in their water (it has anti viral properties).  After a few days, they were fine. 

suzie b

• Joined May 2012
  • south lanarkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:06 am »
Thanks eveyone for your thoughts. Its been really helpful.What a great friendly forum! Little Holly is certainly better but its been a real worry as not long after my first post she started mouth breathing. I know in wild birds thats real bad so I whipped her off to the vet. She thought Holly had been pecked in the eye rather than something sinister and her mouth breathing was just stress.  I'd been doing the cold tea eye bathing(clipper organic if you dont mind) and it seemed to help. Vet gave her an anti inflammatory/pain killing injection and some antibiotic eye cream.which has really helped.
The best thing to come out of this is Holly, who was very flighty and scared now follows me about and warbles away to me.Suz
\m/  \m/

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:15:23 am »
We find that as well Suzie. The 'sickies' are usually lowest in the pecking order (because stress causes problems) and on coming in for treatment respond very well and become very friendly. One of ours because a house hen! Those higher in the order are less receptive to TLC. Pleased she is doing OK.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:16 pm »
Cider vinegar is magic stuff. I started giving it to all my poultry about a month ago and, touch wood, they all seem to be a lot brighter for having it.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS