Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on a ram  (Read 3015 times)

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
Advice on a ram
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
Hi,
We have just acquired 6 ewes and 1 ram (all welsh mountain sheep) all about a year old. I would like advice on keeping them with regard to whether I should separate off the ram into a different paddock. I could do this but the paddocks are adjacent. What are the risks of keeping them all together ?

I welcome any advice

Kind regards

Alan

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Advice on a ram
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:38:08 pm »
I keep mine together most of the year just take my ram out before tupping so we don't lamb too early.
If you put him on his own he'll suffer as all animals need the company of their own kind. When the ewes come into season he'll flatten your fences to get at them if he's in the next paddock.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:07:31 am »
With only six ewes you could probably hire a ram. That would be simpler to manage. However, as you already have a ram, buy a wether lamb at the end of the summer to run with him for company. A good stockproof fence should keep him away from the ewes as they come into season until the date you choose. Remember, the only sure way to programme lambing at a time to suit you is to plan the dates the ram goes in and comes out.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:26:42 am »
I have a wether lamb in with my tup, to keep him company. A lot of the year they're in a separate field, the other side of stock fencing from the flock.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice, which was very helpful. I don't think my current fencing would keep them apart.
Cheers

Alan

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »
Hi just another twist to this postin i have six ewes with lambs when could i put my ram in with the ewes all advise helps.Many thanks

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:25:07 pm »
Welsh Mountains?

That ram will never stay in a field adjacent to the ewes - he'll either smash the fence or jump over it.  ;D

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 07:01:17 am »
Hi just wanted to know how long before i can put the ram in with ewes and lambs he is Zwartble and ewes texel cross. many thanx

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 09:55:53 am »
we didn't have trouble keeping our ram out as he is a gentleman. The girls are randy all the time and were always finding ways to escape into his field.....Had to repair lots of holes in the stock fence.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS