Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when to say goodbye  (Read 3328 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
when to say goodbye
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:30:36 pm »
Hi all
I have two saddleback boars approx 3 months old and was wondering when to put them to slaughter. I know that it is more weight than age, and am I right to think about 70 kilos would be a good weight (know how to measure them). The breeder that I got them from reckoned about 10 months, but I think that seems too long and a friend who was talking to an ex saddleback rearer said 6 months as they only put fat on after that. I am being very good about weighing out their food and really want to get it right!
thanks in advance ;D

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: when to say goodbye
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 07:42:14 pm »
i wouldn't worry about age- just weigh them regulary
summer pigs put on weight quicker than winter-so it will vary from pig to pig
just check their back and feel their spine to check not too fat/thin
 :yum: :yum: :yum:
Mx

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 08:18:00 pm »
we send our tammies off about 6-7 mths, about 85kg liveweight. we have also sent them off at 10 mths and older. meat has always been great, depends on your situation and how much u enjoy having them around. i personally like a carcuss to last us a good while so dont mind a bigger carcuss, as we have a big family. our first pigs went off quite late as we enjoyed having them so much. now we have a resident breeding herd its not an issue.
selling the finished pig seems easier at 85 kg cos people can buy half and not be swamped by stacks of meat, and u have the meat sooner.
hope that helps.

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:37 pm »
Definately go by weight not age we send off at 70kg nad it seems to be a good balance between fat and meat we have Large Blacks and Saddlebacks.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:38 am »
Weighing easier said than done for some smallholders (including us)?  We tried the measuring method with our Saddlebacks and that indicated 90 -100Kg at 5 months and I dont think it was far off (they had been sneakily overfed by someone in the co-operative though).  Good layer of fat but plenty of meat (massive hams/joints).  So I think 5 months was right for our saddlebacks (2 boys 2 girls).  We were supposed to be sticking to maximum of 4 lb /pig/day as they had a large area to free range and forage, ood luck and enjoy

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:51 am »
If its any help i sent two GOS boars to the butchers this morning :'( , they were 21 weeks old and measured 41 inches and 38 inches around the chest behind the front legs respectivey, get them back on friday and will let you know what weights i get. I expect them too be fairly fatty as they've been a lazy pair due mainly to the bad weather but we shall see.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:55:34 am »
what was your estimate of weight mandy :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 12:34:13 pm »
Works out at 67 kilos live weight.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:25:43 pm by Berkshire Boy »
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »
48-50 kilos back as long as my maths are correct :farmer:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »
Thanks all, but seems that I need to get on to the abattior as (as I thought ) they will be going sooner rather than later!  :(  May need to start looking out for my next two! That makes me think - I am in Sutherland and just wondered who is near to me, way up here in the Highlands!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 09:30:19 pm »
dingwall or grantown on spey  any good :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:28:17 am »
48-50 kilos back as long as my maths are correct :farmer:

Robert you're probably nearest to what i normally get back for 4 half pigs approx 20kg per box + sausages.
Will know for definite on Friday when i collect.
Mandy :pig:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
Hi Robert
Dingwall is about 45 minutes from here so not far at all in the great scheme of things (anything less than an hours drive up here is considered 'on the doorstep' ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS