Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dry Skin.  (Read 6605 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Dry Skin.
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:58:00 pm »
My pigs (Tamworths) seem to have rather dry skin. If you rub them hard it's goes like dandruff. I had read somewhere (probably here) to put a little olive oil in their feed. I tried it to no avail. Any suggestions? Could it be mites (I can't see any)?

Morgan

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Dry Skin.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:48:16 pm »
It's most likely season related, our pigs are the same at the moment. Pig-oil will cure it quite quickley. You can source it from most ag-mechants. In the mean time do they have access to a wallow?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:51:36 pm »
Billy, they have one area that is all wet muck (level), and another of pasture that they have just been given access to. Should I dig a small groove into the ground and fill it with water? I thought they looked after the wallow themselves.

Morgan

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:33:19 pm »
Its worth a go if they arnt using the wet muck to wallow? We have to fill our pigs wallows up but then our ground dries up very quickley, hence the need to add water!

I wouldnt worry to much about dry skin, pig oil should solve it though.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 12:23:43 am »
Apparently, pig oil is a light mineral oil like baby oil, but without the smell. Why not use baby oil instead. I ask as we have loads around the house for all the small bots!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:57 am »
Dont apply the oil on warm sunny days. 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:10:18 am »
Indeed, I think  i'd rather wait for the crackling until the end of the process, rather than mid way through.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 12:13:31 pm »
Yes its very hard to get the fork in when it keeps running off!!!!!! :pig: :pig: :pig:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 01:32:39 pm »
Morgan,

We often use "human" moisturisers/creams to prepare our ones for showing. Pig oil is finer and gets everywhere.

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 03:53:34 pm »

Oh dear God, I can just imagine the look on my wifes face when she see's me leaving the house with her E45 cream, assorted pots of moisturisers and baby oil. I'll either be heading for the psychiatric hospital or the pig arc with a duvet!

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »
Go for the pig arc, the company is much nicer.

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 08:51:08 pm »
pig oil works a treat, my pigs are 13 weeks old now and as a first timer I was also concerned about dry skin, it was very similar to cradle cap on babies heads, I've been oiling them once a week for the last four weeks and they look much healthier now, I've resisted adding the salt and pepper for now.
Karen

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 11:10:29 pm »
My wife is of the opinion that I treat the pigs as well as the kids. I disagree...I have never read the pigs stories at bed time! If I start giving them oil massages and back rubs, she's sure to feel a little neglected. Now if someone were to suggest the theraputic value to pigs of candles and a bottle of Saint Emilion.....well that might just be the straw that broke the camels back  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 11:10:34 pm »
Bet they love it too!  My dogs love a good rub
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 06:51:23 am »
Carole's house pig loves a glass of wine.  Not sure she would like the candles, too waxy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS