Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Royal Welsh spring festival Good Day Out.  (Read 4540 times)

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
Royal Welsh spring festival Good Day Out.
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:27:01 pm »
What a great day out, loads to see from pigs, sheep, chickens oh so much to LIST  almost everything to do with small holdings. my son was happy he got Adam hensons and Kate humbles autographs. The pig section was awsome ,the standard of competition was so high and the winning tamworth of Liz Shanklings was supreme.I also got to say hello to Happy Hippy from Scotland!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Royal Welsh spring festival Good Day Out.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:03:36 pm »
Totally agree - a fantastic show as always and oodles to see.  Brilliant.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:43:33 am »
Taking the camera for a group shot outside the first aid tent, I hope it warms up a bit as this morning looks dull , damp and cold. See you there.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:54:56 am »
Yes - a good day.

Great to meet up outside the first aid tent at noon yesterday. Rosemary, Happy Hippy, Mab and Bionic and me.

We all met up for a chin-wag. Great to see the TASers in the flesh. Weird to introduce myself by my TAS name.....

"hello - are you Bonic? I'm suziequeue"...... but the ice was very quickly broken with all of us having so much in common. Sorry not to have got a group shot but....

A great day  :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:22:03 am »
Have a great day  :wave:  wish I could be there.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:00:51 am »
Echoed by me too.  There was lots to see and in fact I didn't see it all.
I did get in the 'ring' with Tim Tyne who demonstrated how to turn over a sheep and then got me to do it too. I also bought his book which he signed for me.
I bought a coloured Ryeland fleece as well and some cows cheese called Mouldy Mabel and a pair of boots.
Better leave my purse at home next year  ;D
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 06:24:27 pm »
I had a good day too. Tizaala told me about this group so here I am.  I met a few others too. I loved the pig agility. Watch out for me next year as my Kune pigs have a litter so I might earmark one for training!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:12:07 pm »
Sold a few birds at the auction and bought a few plants.

Got a loyalty card from Welsh Venison food truck, as I had 2 Cheese burgers and 3 cups of coffee.
Forgot my pass and had to pay again to get in.

Tried walking in backwards pretending I was leaving, but eagle eye in a security jacket spotted me.

Went to look for Liz, but she was on walkabout (or so her sign said).

Got home and done the chores. HOt bath later and an early night. I was up at 5am catching chicken. :D
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:02 pm »
Sorry I wasn't there when you called, Castle Farm - you should have rung me on the mobile, like the sign said!

Glad everyone had a good day, whichever day they went. I was well chuffed to not only get Tamworth Champion, but, even better, Reserve Supreme Champion in the interbreed the next day. Fingers crossed for the Bath & West next week. Anyone going?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:50 pm »
Sorry I wasn't there when you called, Castle Farm - you should have rung me on the mobile, like the sign said!

Glad everyone had a good day, whichever day they went. I was well chuffed to not only get Tamworth Champion, but, even better, Reserve Supreme Champion in the interbreed the next day. Fingers crossed for the Bath & West next week. Anyone going?

Well done you - they were stunning looking Tams and beautifully turned out.  One of these days I'll have a go with one of my Berkshires  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:14:30 am »
Oh you should have a go Blinkers  :thumbsup:
Everyone's really friendly and will make you feel very welcome - we NEED to show our pigs to keep the profile of the rare breeds up and it also gives you the chance to up your profile when it comes to selling stock. It's a win - win situation and you'll have a good day out into the bargain.
Even celebrities get nervous when getting in the ring for the first time  ;)  (I know, I spoke to her  ;D ) but there's nothing to worry about - honest !
Maybe see you there next year ?
Karen x

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »
I did get in the 'ring' with Tim Tyne who demonstrated how to turn over a sheep and then got me to do it too. I also bought his book which he signed for me. 

Well done - Tim enjoyed doing the workshops although we are both now totally cream crackered! Good you  bought a book - I am sure it will be useful.

There was another thread about hoping no-one needed the first aid tent - well I did! Sliced my thumb on the sheep clippers while preparing the sheep for the ring. More worried about getting blood on them than anything else. I think the first aiders must have been having a quiet day - judging from the amount of fabric they wrapped around my thumb you would have thought I had chopped it off!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS