Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: our first lamb ever  (Read 4230 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
our first lamb ever
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:13:43 pm »
we have our first lamb born to an old girl. I hope the others are going to be as easy. with chicks and geese about to hatch spring is definitely here.
by the way is a slightly mucky bum in a lamb normal.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: our first lamb ever
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:02:51 pm »
lol... yeah toffee.... just make sure it doesn't dry up blocking the anus.. it would be similar to constipation and can be fatal. Clean it regularly while soft using hay or soft straw

Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:55:26 pm »
Oh, I've just spent a happy 20 minutes cleaning Herbert's bum. It was the same consistency and colour as toffee and had a slightly similar, sweet, creamy smell. I can't believe I just wrote that. I just used warm water and a gloved hand. It's not perfect but it's better than it was. I'll have another go tomorrow night, I enjoyed it so much. His mommy has so much milk his tummy is like a drum - you never hear him bleat. I can't believe how much he's grown. Next year, I'm going to weigh them at birth and then regularly to see how much they grow.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »
poo that smells of fudge that a job for the wife.Still waiting for more lambs the young ram must have been taking his time. lots of very fat coloured shetland sheep. they are at the wobbling stage.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:35 pm »
well done paul, flock will soon appear! ;D :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:03:28 am »
upto number two now a very big panda faced black shetland. the mum looked like she was going to burst was sure it was at least two. poor girl her first time as well. The daughter loved running up and down the field half the night.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:57:34 pm »
the daughter needs some biology lessions our lovely panda ewe lamb is now male. so he is getting ringed tommorrow

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:15 pm »
still six to go the ram must have had a nice long rest. Anyone fancy ram burgers. :sheep:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:28:21 am »
upto three now a black male with patches over his eyes. A brown one with one small white tuft. and a white one with grey stripes on her face.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:05:08 pm »
Any more news?  We're just about to take delivery of 20 couple and keep some of the ewes on to start our own flock next year.  I seem to have been volunteered for the lambing - cant wait! :sheep:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 11:29:41 pm »
we lost the last lamb. but we have just had a brown with white spotted male. were hoping this one is healthy. still 4 to go. its worse than waiting for my kids.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS