Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass and more grass  (Read 4188 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Grass and more grass
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:27:12 pm »
Help - Yet another question from a newbie.  I have just cut half an acre of grass (supposed to be lawn!) and don't know what to do with the tons of cuttings.  I am about to go into the field and do the same, though its a lot more difficult as its quite wild.  I always end up with heaps of the stuff.  I compose some but haven't enough other compost to mix all of it with, so end up with a slimmy mess that just sits there.  Any thoughts or have I missed something simple I can do with it all? ??? :o
Its a beautiful day here in Ireland and all I can think of is where to put all this ..... grass.
PS - I haven't even got a sit on mover, so the back is feeling iffy to say the least!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Grass and more grass
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:13 pm »
Hello,

Any friendly farmer neighbours about ? Perhaps you could make hay with it.

Cheers

Gavin

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:37:54 pm »
I just put mine in heaps under the trees and the beasties sort it out into compost for me.  I have half an acre at the front and half of that at the back of the house, so i know what you mean.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:07:04 pm »
We use it to mulch under the hedge. Makes a great job of keeping the weeds down andthe hens love digging in it once its gone down a bit.

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 03:07:13 pm »
you could always cram some of it in a wheelie bin, add water for a few weeks and turn it into liquid fertilizer as someone recommened in another post on this forum. :)

My OH left ours on the field last year saying it would act as natural fertilser....NOT recommended.
we're in the same boat with 7 acres of field- trying to get stock at the moment to keep it down!
great fun!!

Lynne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS