Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping orphans for breeding- with a photo  (Read 2945 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Keeping orphans for breeding- with a photo
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:37:13 pm »
Out of our 6 orphans, the 3 males and 1 female will go into the freezer come autumn. I am however undecided what to do with our 2 other ewe lambs, they are turning into very nice little lambs, growing well and very stocky. We are tempted to keep them and breed from them, either hire a ram or buy one with a couple of other ewes and have a small flock.

I've attached a couple of photos of the 2 we are thinking of keeping, I can't remember what cross breed the farmer said they were, possibly Texel X? Can anyone shed any light, and has anyone else kept on orphans for breeding?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Keeping orphans for breeding- with a photo
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »
I have kept orphan lambs and bred from them in the past. Did ok and were good mothers but I was warned they might not be.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11:42 pm »
I've kept on orphans for breeding and they turned out fine. One mothered triplets without any problems.

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »
I also have kept orphans on for breeding, in fact our flock started that way! ;) They all grew on well,and have proven to be excellent mums(1st lot lambed for the 2nd time this year) their lambs all strong and healthy. ;D

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:22 pm »
they look similar to some of ours which are texel x suffolks (or is that suffolk x texels - which comes first  mum or dad???)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:07 pm »
So would putting them to a Texel (obviously not related) be a good option?

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:36:41 am »

Hi Twizzel,
What sweet little ewe lambs :sheep: :sheep: :thumbsup: , are you thinking of breeding them this year or leaving them to grow on into shearlings.
We mostly leave our ewes till they are shearlings before putting them to the ram  -then they have matured and  grown to their full size.
Tilly  :wave:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:53:58 am »
I think we've come to the decision last night that this years orphans will all go in autumn in the freezer... I can't really see the point of keeping 2? We are planning on having 10 minimum orphans next year anyway from the same farm so will hopefully get some similar lambs again. Then possibly buy a couple of shearling ewes, I have found someone who has a flock of purebred and crossbred Texels and purebred texel rams who can also put them in lamb for me then we have them after tupping. The ewes could then be company for any ewe lambs we keep on next year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS