Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: clippers for horses and sheep?  (Read 6627 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
clippers for horses and sheep?
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »
is there such a thing that can do both?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: clippers for horses and sheep?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »
I think electric shears can be used for horses and sheep but may need different comb/cutters fitted - certainly if you search on fleabay the advertise as being suitable for a range of species - not that that proves anything.

m

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:05 pm »
I researched this as had horse clippers but needed sheep one and the conclusion was 'no'. You can get sheep combs for some horse clippers but motor wise they are really not up to the job for any length of time. So you could risk it doing a couple of sheep slowly but I wouldnt try for a flock. I ended up buying second hand lister sheep clippers and kept the Heiniger progress ones for the horses. Also ,the horse clippers I have are mains electric 24V which is fine as we have electric in the stables but we shear the sheep in a pen in the field so I needed ones which could run from a car battery 12V.
If you do get specific sheep shears they do hold their value very well.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »
the first one we bought was a Lister star cheap compared to the proper ones for the dogs we tried to buy combs and cutters for it for sheep  but not successful till last year at  the rhs  and can now shear with them
we also have a horner proper job shearer both are 240 volt  :farmer:

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
Thanks for pointing me in right direction.

http://www.farmcareuk.com/shop/product/sheep-shearing-blades/lister-wizard-20-teeth-sheep

also:
The[/size] "Lister Laser" [/color][/size](heavy-duty machine) is the exception, it can be used for sheep as well as horse/cattle using the same blade. This blade is known as a [/color][/size]"wizard" blade [/color][/size]. Also able to operate with the Wizard blades are the slim and light[/color][/size] Premier 3000c and 4000c [/color][/size]- both are heavy-duty machines.[/color]

Don't know if otehrs are out there but seems the wizard blades can be used on horse clippers for use on sheep (obviously not intense professional use but wouldn't be trying to double up).
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS