Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing recommendations  (Read 3140 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Shearing recommendations
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »
I've just been reading all the posts about shearing. The Singing Shearer seems to crop up a lot. I'm looking for someone in North Notts who is good with the sheep and doesn't cut them (I've heard such awful things from some people about shearers kicking the sheep and cutting them badly) Has anyone in this area got any recommendations and what sort of price would you be looking at for someone to come out to my field and do 4 sheep? Thank you
4 pet sheep

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Re: Shearing recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »
Hi,

Where about are you? I come around Nottingham a bit.
As for price, I can only speak for myself but at the moment I charge £30 minimum for coming, setting up and shearing for the first hour so unless your sheep are the size of elephants (there are some) I could shear them in an hour, then a bit for travel.
Also I don't kick the sheep, ever.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »
Phillip the singing shearer has done my sheep the last 3 years and is excellent with the  sheep and does a fantastic job!! Already booked for next year  :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 06:36:55 pm »
I can vouch for Philip, the Singing Shearer too. He did a great job of my Rough Fells last year, tidy shearing and a very calm way with the sheep.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:40:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have a word with a friend of mine who might also want her sheep doing at the same time.
4 pet sheep

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »
Philip is good value we booked him for a charity event and got the rest of the family thrown in for free !!!
Highly recommended.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

chrisg29

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:27 pm »

Does anyone know of any shearers in Suffolk.  I just have three little Ouessants, last years lambs so never been done before.
Thanks

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:16:53 am »
Contact Philip the singing shearer Chrisg29 - he travels far and wide. He's coming to shear 2 of my sheep on 1st June. He fits groups of people in the same part of the country into certain dates to get the cost down and make it more practical for him travelling.
I've never heard a bad word about him and he's been incredibly helpful via email while we've been trying to sort out our shearing around heavy rainfalls!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS