Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent please help - lame runner duck  (Read 3013 times)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Urgent please help - lame runner duck
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:50:15 am »
I have three runner ducks (drakes) and this morning have noticed that one of them is limping, I could see what looks like a bit of dried blood on his side, and then I could see there is a nasty tear in his foot :(

He is getting around with the others okay, limping and holding up his foot or sitting down.

Goodness knows how this has happened - they are safe in a duck house at night, and have an electric fence around them too so any kind of predator attack is unlikely.

I am guessing it happened yesterday - when we put them to bed last night they were already in their duck house so I didn't notice anything amiss.

What should I do? Is a trip to the vet the best thing?

Or are torn flippers one of those things that happen and will heal up?

Should I separate him from the others?

Please, anyone that has any advice I'd be very grateful.

While awaiting replies I am going to start phoning around local vets practices to see if anyone is good with ducks.

Thanks
Charlotte

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Urgent please help - lame runner duck
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:30:11 am »
I've found ducks get very stressed going to the vet so I would avoid that if at all possible - we often get one limping out of our 26 - call ducks and they fly but are not too good at landing but this is not the same as your problem. If it was me I would bring him in, give it a good clean and if you have any sheep spray use that on the area - now your going to ask what spray and I can't remember off the top of my head always called blue/purple spray - cheap at your country store - basically and anticeptic spray to give it a chance to heal. I would let him stay with his palls unless he gets worse as they do get a bit down if on thier own. Hope it works out
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »
I have also had ducks that have torn or punctured their webbing and they have always healed without vet intervention which as has been said they generally find stressful.

I would also clean the wounds and spray with antiseptic spray. Would keep him in for a couple of days (which he won't thank you for) to keep the wound clean. They heal in a surprisingly fast time.

wonderpupp

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:57:35 am »
One of our runner Ducks, called Lulu, had a limp also. When she was little, she got a bit beaten up by the bigger ducks, but although she walks kind of funny now, she's hapy enough and always gets the first dibs on slugs, snails and treats.

She hates swimming though!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS