Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick Cockerel  (Read 4939 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
Sick Cockerel
« on: April 19, 2009, 11:43:44 am »
We have a very sick cockerel. He obviously had a nasty fight with another cockeral when he escaped from his pen as I found him trapped under the gate. He was very lame and bruised but  has got quieter and his leg seems very cold,  he is laying on the floor with his wings spread. I have taken him away from the others and put him in a box with food and water in a warm shed has anyone got any suggestions as to what else I can do for him. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Sick Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:56:58 pm »
Have you checked his leg?  If it is sprained you can splint it - I've done that with a duck a couple of times.  If it's broken it may be more difficult but worth a try.  It might also be shock - try him with a porridge made of rolled oats, honey and warm milk - and poultry spice if you can get it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 03:09:45 pm »
really you only have two choices the vet or the chop. This sounds cruel but its more humane than allowing it to suffer for a day or so before it dies. Its a shame but remember for it to show the level of injury it is bad. If one leg is definitely colder than the other it sounds like its lost circulation in that foot.

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:01 am »
Update on Indy our cockerel. He has had some penicillin and I tried the oats with milk & honey which he liked his leg is warm again which is a good sign and he is looking a little brighter on a downside the cockerel he had a fight with is really ill I found him this morning in his pen looking very miserable and drooling he has lost a lot of weight and his 'girls' have plucked his back. I have seperated him but I dont think he will survive i'll be gutted if we lose them both.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:20:53 am »
get him to the vet sounds nasty.

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:44:48 am »
Just got back fom the vet I have never taken a chicken to the vet before but I am glad I did. Both Cockerels have had an anti inflammatory, a painkiller and some anti biotics to go in their water. She hopes at least one of them will make a full recovery.The young cockerel seems to have an infection in his crop. Anyway it only cost £9 and thats not a lot and it makes me feel better I only hope it makes them feel better.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:36:43 pm »
yes watch the one with the crop problem. Ive just ordered some multi vitamins for my girls. the cockerel has been over friendly so i thought i would give them a boost. make sure the grit is available. hope they get better. our vet thought it was funny us taking a chicken to see him. he is a large animal vet. the little pullet scratched his arm he now respects chickens.

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:54:22 am »
Sadly lost young cockerel with crop problem. He seemed to rally round yesterday afternoon but found him dead this morning.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:56:34 am »
Thats a shame, fingers crossed the other one makes a full recovery.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 01:43:15 pm »
Yes its a shame. but you did your best for him. Good luck with the other one.

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 09:04:39 am »
Sadly lost the other cockerel last night. I was very upset as I really thought he was on the mend.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 01:12:41 pm »
Thats even more of a shame. It could be one of them spotted that the other was off colour and lost out that way. But you did the best for them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS