Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Now your minds are turning to shearing, what are you going to do with your wool?  (Read 4135 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Well folks start thinking how much you can make from your wool!!!

No I'm not barking mad, and I am fully aware of the price paid by the BWMB...........

You do not.....repeat DO NOT have to send your wool to the BWMB and can apply for a dispensation to not send your wool in....just write a short letter to them. This is if you wish to process the wool your self or have it processed for you into artisanal products eg North Ronaldsay or Ryeland knitting wool)  OR if it is for non textile use (ie not spun into knitting wool or made into traditional cloth) you can process yourself as a farmer 30,000kgs!!! :o :o :o........thats 3 tonnes!!

Well.....that also means you can make it into felt, start up a horticultural mulch business etc

So what you waiting for?

We have a wool scourer to wash it, (with solar heated water!) pickers, blenders and carders to process it, a felter to felt it (a needle felter soon too) and.....if you have a stash of knitting wool, old felt, jumpers etc.....anything wool we have the facilities to chop it up re card it and make it bask into the fliffy stuff it was before it was originally spun!!!!
This is real wool recycling and it can even be reblended with virgin wool and respun!!!

Get in the queue.....make some money from your wool.....I will help you!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
hiya, i wouldnt know where to start with my ewes wool!...had not really thought that far ahead. Yes i have the shearing planned but what to do with the fleeces.....mmmm dunno. Free to a good home????
Emma ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Emma.....do something with them.....make some lovely stuff.....they are not waste!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
We had one of ours hand spun last year and Dan's Dad is learning to spin and his Mum has dusted off the knitting needles. The wool is lovely, IMHO. I quite fancy having a go at felting, though.

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
Dan's Dad is learning to spin

Good on him! If I can help in any way let me know.
Have you done anything with that wool yet?
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Rosemary felting is fantastic.....we cheat and have a huge mechanised felting table and we are a bit far for you to come and borrow it :-\ I know there are a few around up there though!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Hi woolly, 

I wouldnt let it go to waste, burn it or anything. I just have soooo much on my hands with the horses and associated activities, dogs cats, hens, garden, family, and of course the sheep. Plus a fulltime shiftstyle job as an anaesthetic nurse. I am Bl***y knackered sometimes. I have woven with 'raw wool' before dying it with tea and coffee....I have so many projects which are unfinished...if i started another OH would have a hairy fit..

Many moons ago, at art college in Edinburgh, I did learn to spin and weave... I was studying stained glass design and conservation, but this was a side interest. Mmmmm now you have me thinking!

I have a freestyle embroidery which i started when i was expecting my daughter (now 18) I have a tapestry footstool i need to finish, some upholstery i need to do.....oh dear me I could do with 30 hours in the day and an eight day week then i would catch up with myself.

I have a friend who felts so i could give  a couple of the fleeces to her, or if any ASH folks want one this year i would be happy to oblige.

Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS