Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carrots.  (Read 2339 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Carrots.
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:55:38 pm »
Months ago, I tried the boys with carrots, but they just turned their noses up. This evening, I was peeling carrots for tea and the boys were just outside the back door, so I decide to try them again.
I couldnt believe how quickly they ate them up. I did carrot sticks, not rounds and between them they must have had 2 carrots each.
Is it the colour that makes them appealing I wonder or the sweet taste? Ive always got loads of carrots around the house and they have to be better for them than biscuits for a little treat!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Carrots.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »
I think the sweet taste and maybe the crunchiness. I will have to try mine again, they weren't interested last one I tried.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »
I remember mentioning this somewhere before ...
My goat book had a bit that has alays stuck in my mind, that goats can choke on carrot "rounds"  so always cut sticks.
I give our goat the peelings (I eat the carrots myself!)

the chickens won't touch them, I maintain its the colour...
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »
Mine Loooove carrots - I go through a large net of horse carrots per week in the winter, now I have to buy them in the co-op and it is a tad more expensive... yes and I always cut them into sticks. Never had a problem with choking.

My hens actually prefer them when they have turned a bit off (and soft...)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:52 am »
My girls love their carrots and I always cut in the round.  If I peel carrots for us the dogs queue at the kitchen door.  I throw all the peelings on the floor and save myself the job of floor washing.   ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:46:15 am »
As a horse owner, I have always cut the carrots lengthways - they, and any animal can choke on the rounds.  I know the animal sanctuaries check if you are feeding carrots and will not let you feed the ponies and donkeys, nor the goats unless they are cut lengthways.

Funny enough, my goats will eat them chopped lengthways, but offered a full carrot, most will walk away!!

The kids are always fussy about carrots, apples and green feed, and the pigs were when little, until one day, you try again, and they decide they are lovely!!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »
Ive found that Roxy. Things I tried the boys with like celery, apple pear etc, months ago, they wouldnt touch. Now they cant get enough. Billy is more into the "healthy eating options" more than his brother who would eat just biscuits all day if I let him, but he is getting better. Im glad that they like the veggies now though, especially the carrots as I always seem to have to throw some away. I wont now though, Ill be doubling the amount I buy in future!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:06:45 am »
Rich tea and digestive biscuits are gratefully received and cream crackers!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS