Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heres a tricky one  (Read 5436 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
heres a tricky one
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:40:01 pm »
went to feed them today ,,one has managed to dig what i think is a piece of plastic pipe like sink waste pipe about 1 inch long, pig has managed to get it round its hoof, trying to shake it off like a sticky toffee paper on your finger.... its on like if you were to put a ring over all your 4 fingers but not your thumb.... cant get my hand on it without injury to me,,, its going for slaughter monday so should be ok i hope.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: heres a tricky one
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:03 pm »
Get someone to help, grab back legs and lift him up like a wheelbarrow, while the other pulls it off?

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:48:15 pm »
the slaughter house could report you on welfare  grounds also it could restrict the blood flow   i would try to get it off as soon as  :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:39:06 am »
You're going to have to take it off Harry - you can't just leave it on the poor pig  >:(
Isolate the pig from the rest of the group - a sheep hurdle, small gate or a pig board against the fence or in the corner of the field or failing all that take him out onto more solid footing and away from the others - small trailer or pen set up outside their field.
Kunekunes shouldn't pose any real injury threat (honest  ;)) but if you need to chill him out a bit use a can of beer - 10 minutes later he'll be feeling nice and relaxed/sleepy and you should manage to slide it off. Or a seditive jag for the vet if he's really wound up - but wouldn't you be if you had something restricting bloodflow, it hurts ! Take some agri-lubricant or veggie oil with you to help it slide. As their owner they rely on YOU to look after them - it's time to find your metal and get it done I'm afraid  :-\
Karen

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:30:32 am »
the slaughter house could report you on welfare  grounds also it could restrict the blood flow   i would try to get it off as soon as  :farmer:

the alaughter house will have the SVS there all animals are checked on unloading/penning any animal not 100% stands a big chance of being condemed from the food chain, beside that it is cruel to leave a animal for a day let alone 4 in this state you must deal with it TODAY.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »
if it looked a problem i would have done it but its a plastic piece of tube, pig walking ok , its not tight enough to restict but it is wedged on, ie wont shake off, thinking i would tackle it tommorow when i can get help as pig seems happy enough running around not limping......... was going to ask the easy way, will try the lager, first, do you think a couple of cans will be ok.... how safe would lager and whisky be, and how much whisky
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:46:07 pm by harry »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:00:51 pm »
A can of beer is worth a try but I wouldn't give him any more or anything else, if you or someone else can wheelbarrow him it'll be fairly easy, so long as your strong and don't let go! If his legs are wet/muddy wear gloves for grip, imagine controlling an out of control pneumatic drill! So long as someone's holding him tight and his front feet are on the ground he might not even struggle or squeal! I'm a measly 5'1 9stone girl and that's how I move porkers if I'm on my own! Probably best to have sharp snippers and cut it off rather than trying to prize it off, good luck and let us know! Video footage would be good lol  ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:13:21 pm »
while trying to hold a pissed off  pig while someone else cuts it off i will try to hold a video camera, might stick a broom handle up my xxxx and sweep up at the same time  ;D ;D ;D might try the video thing if i can get extra help

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:35:13 pm »
Yes please that would def be worth a watch lol!! Where are you? If you happen to be local I'll come and help (ahem meant video!) ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 08:47:25 pm »
.... was going to ask the easy way, will try the lager, first, do you think a couple of cans will be ok.... how safe would lager and whisky be, and how much whisky

Steady on Harry, with all that in you you'll be on your back  ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »
probably going to happen anyhow

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:46:39 pm »
where abouts are you harry

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »
ime near norwich ie south norfolk

chickenfeed

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 09:15:35 pm »
a bit too far to travel but someone else may be closer.

which slaughterhouse will you be using ?

speedywheelz

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 09:43:42 pm »
im south norfolk if you need a hand harry, let me know

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS