Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Satellite broadband  (Read 3058 times)

dt400

• Joined Apr 2012
Satellite broadband
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:06:05 pm »
Hi

Does anyone have experience of Tooway satellite broadband as BT have just quoted £17500 to install a phone line, our mobile are fine for calls but we would like broadband, the moblie Internet dongle is OK, but 85kb at the very best is hard work.

Any thoughts

Clive

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Satellite broadband
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:26 pm »
Yes, and it's fab.  We are with Avonline, which I think use Tooway.  We haven't had any problems with it and I think it's reasonably priced, and currently, the only way we can get broadband here (although soon to change with the B4RN project).  The only downside is the data allowance.  The lowest price band is only 4gb, but they have increased that to 8gb on a special offer which is supposed to end this month, but they did say they wouldn't know if it would be extended (it had been extended from February).  Obviously, the more you pay, the more you get.  We currently manage on the 8gb for £25 a month, although we don't watch tv, or much youtube through it. 

Helen

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »
I've just signed up with Avanti, install next week so let you know...certainly wouldn't pay that money for snailband.

Free install, only have to buy a special router (£100). I've gone for £40 mth (8mbps/2mbps /10gb), can get £25 deal which is only double what paying with plusnet anyway. When I looked into it, apart from install cost, the only differences are what happens when you go over your data allowance. Do they charge you more say £5/gb or do they slow you down. You pays your money, make your choice. Nothing to lose really if you get free install deal, otherwise can cost £4-500.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:43:12 am »
..for anyone in wales , you can get a grant for satelite installation if you are in an internet  'not spot' (<.5 Mb) from the welsh assembly. 

We havnt yet  as I've been hoping BT could fix (and with BT OH gets free broadband in Birmingham in the week throh the BT openzone hot spot thingy) - but may come to it.  I wish I understood downlaod limits and my ideal useage.  I like listeing to Last FM rado over internet and would watch a lot of stuff on i player if I could.....

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:42:33 am »
FiB

you should be able to log on to your ISP and see your usage. I'm typically 8mb and only get a warning maybe 2-3x a year that close to my 10mb limit with Pissnet.  The hotspot is tempting with BT but personally I would try the satellite and get a mobile dongle (obviously if you can afford it...).  there is no incentive for Bt or anyone else to improve rural braodband, so vote with your money, I say.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »
Don't get me started on BT. I'm in a welsh 'notspot' and Tooway have quoted me around £400 to get set up with satellite broadband. The monthly fee is around £25. I've been accepted by the WA and sent my details back to Tooway. So fingers crossed I'll get faster broadband soon. My neighbour has satellite broadband and he loves it.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

downtoearth

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Outskirts of Inverness
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »
I really dont understand all this tech stuff, but BT wont improve my line for calls as they say its not worth it - not enough users - where i live.  So I've got a dongle with 3 its slow but £15 for 10mbs (think thats what it is!) Have to wait ages for it to do anything, so if anyone can suggest and explain to me in plain english what to do and get I'd be most grateful. Cheers!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS