Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: facebook flotation.  (Read 2640 times)

deepinthewoods

facebook flotation.
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:19:01 pm »
104 billion dollars estimated worth but i bet it goes for more than that . it means each user is valued at around $100 each. when you consider how much information goes into peoples walls and profiles its quite scary that this information will now have a commercial value.
  it will be interesting to see how fb changes and im seriously considering closing my account.

Bangbang

Re: facebook flotation.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:41:14 pm »
OH opened a fb account for me...never used it. I think i get into
enough trouble on the forum without adding more problems to
my ego.
I do get lots of emails telling me OH has got more friends..etc (as she's on fb)
Well good for her computer programme.

The bigger fb gets the less people meet and talk with each other
says the man typing  ::)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:47 am »
I think it's enormously over-valued. I've seen people compare it to Google, which also relies heavily on advertising for much its revenue (more than 95% in Google's case). The difference is that users often use Google to find things or services they want to buy, which makes advertising attractive to both the user and the advertiser.

Facebook advertising is mostly an annoyance, and likely to get more annoying after the IPO.

If you're considering investing in Facebook and want sobering up, read about lastminute.com, MySpace, Friends Reunited, Geocities, Boo.com, Bebo, AOL, The Learning Company, Infospace, etc...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:41:37 am »
I always log onto FB 'https' this frustrates the phishing scams, Do not play any of the games as they all come with spyware, you can block the adds by complaining that they are offensive, so you can limit some of the crap that is inherent with FB.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:46:23 am »
By the way Dan, it could just be my security settings , But every time I click on spellcheck this morning my pop up blocker kicks in, normaly don't have this problem !

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:04:07 am »
By the way Dan, it could just be my security settings , But every time I click on spellcheck this morning my pop up blocker kicks in, normaly don't have this problem !

Because we've changed the editor it will be a different pop-up as far as your security is concerned, so you'll probably need to approve it, put it on your whitelist, or whatever option your software has for allowing pop-ups from certain sites.

HTH.  :)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »
All the hysteria reminded me of 1999 (tech boom and crash for those who can't remember or didn't lose money).

I have a hardly used account (I have a few nephews and nieces who only communicate through it).

I am currently locked out of it however. And can't access it unless I upload a passport, driving licence or credit card details.

I don't think so. >:(

You'd think it was a  company from Nigeria.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS