NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: How many cows can i keep on 18 acres of land?  (Read 20008 times)

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: How many cows can i keep on 18 acres of land?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 01:18:10 pm »
people who don't dehorn calves are bloody lazy, and when cattle know they have horns will use them. and they will kill you if your are working alone. it dosen't matter if its 300kg or 700kg it will put you out action for a while.
my advice is to go to coarses and learn how to handle all situations of livestock get some proper knowledge behind you from sheep to pigs to cattle,to lamas ect ect. :farmer:
Voss Electric Fence

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 02:22:30 pm »
people who don't dehorn calves are bloody lazy,

Sorry, can't agree with that - and I bet there are no statistics to back up the statement either. A cattle beast without horns can injure you very easily too. If anything the horns make you very aware of safety.

Our breed standard has horns - and Highland breeders might take exception to be classed as "bloody lazy" too
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:15:37 pm by Dan »

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »
suckler calves going through the ring get a lower price than dehorned ones
in the old days when all cattle had horns and they were tied up in byres the amount of injuries was frighting   yes with horns you are very wary but one without horns is every bit as dangerous :farmer:

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »
If you go with dexters, buy them from a calm herd (go visit the herd, walk through the field etc), otherwise they are bloody stubborn and very flighty and will jump fences. I used to dislike Dexters greatly, however after sitting for little acorn on here, they arent all that bad, some are nice.

Cattle with horns, are just as dangerous as those without horns.. just have to give yourself more space when handling them. Some horned cattle i've worked with in the past didnt realise they had horns, and would try and gently nudge you in an affectionate manner.. and you'd get poked by horns (but gently), and others knew they had horns so would nudge you with their nose. They were Welsh blacks, lovely beasties, good covering of meat and tasty.
If you can do a deal with your local farmers go with their breeds for now, that way if you get into trouble you can ask for help.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Should we get cows

Started by mariegold

Replies: 12
Views: 4663
Last post January 08, 2013, 05:28:33 pm
by Marches Farmer
Pet cows?

Started by Remy

Replies: 17
Views: 5905
Last post August 12, 2015, 05:18:45 pm
by Marches Farmer
miniature cows?

Started by stephen

Replies: 7
Views: 10940
Last post January 05, 2008, 08:00:40 pm
by swavgav
Nosey Cows!!

Started by sellickbhoy

Replies: 5
Views: 3365
Last post July 13, 2009, 09:29:29 pm
by Farmer
Help - Runaway Cows!!

Started by MrsJ

Replies: 27
Views: 8805
Last post January 08, 2010, 12:57:00 pm
by MrsJ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS