Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disinfectant  (Read 2726 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
Disinfectant
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:15:23 pm »
Hi All

Ive had my girls for nearly 4mnths now and they have started sneezing, Ive read up and think they just have a cold, as there are no other signs of ill health, they are all eatting well and laying one per day, I plan on adding Citricidal to there water, hopefully that will do the trick.

Just on the safe side though I want to disinfect there coop (was brand new and clean every weekend, it almost spotless) and there shed (its an old shed and I believe the former tenent kept a dog in there), however there are soo many on the market i was hoping someone could recommend a good safe (for kids & other animals)poultry one.

Many thanks In advance

Maddox

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Disinfectant
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:12:46 pm »
what bedding are you using.

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:24:40 pm »
Hi

Im using a corse woodchip (should be used for horses), is that OK??

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:27:49 pm »
thats fine. if there is a lot of dust then it can be a problem. the vet can give you a good disinfectant. dont use jeys as its not good for them. if its all of them i would watch them carefully. maybe worth getting something like kelp to give them a boost. if they continue to sneeze i would suggest you have a word with the vet. its probably nothing but it would be a shame if it was. I assume they are freeranging if so check for lice ect near there vent and under there wings can make them weaker and more prone to illness. hope they get well soon. they are a lot tougher than we think ive got 70+ running about and they tend to heal themselves quite well. its when they are really showing signs of being sick that you need to get worried.

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:06:29 pm »
Hi Paul

Thanks for your advice, I shall give em all a good check over first thing tomorrow, yes they are free ranging.

My citrus stuff came today so have popped that in there water.

70!!! wow I can only dream of owning that many.

Maddox xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS