Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: piglet drinker  (Read 6247 times)

pin

• Joined May 2012
piglet drinker
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »
Hi,

what do piggy breeding people use as a starter drinker for tiny piglets? The ones we've looked at are huge.

Thanks!

robert waddell

Re: piglet drinker
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:16:06 pm »
low placed water bowls (self fill )   with a kerb stone so they can climb up to it :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »
I used my roasting pan ::)

pin

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »
interesting, I had thought about a roasting pan weighed down somehow but can see me spending my life refilling it. Using a step to a self fill might work later when they can get out of the ark.
Thank you, keep the ideas coming!

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:20:07 pm »
either a self fill bowl around 2.5 litre, or a nipple drinker on an adjustable mount that can be moved up as the pig grows.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:36:24 am »
either a self fill bowl around 2.5 litre, or a nipple drinker on an adjustable mount that can be moved up as the pig grows.

SFS - we've been considering these for our KK herd, how quickly would the adults learn to use these & can they be set to work from water barrels?  The cheapo fix-on floats we bought (not from you  :-[) keep on leaking from where the hose is attached to the inlet & it's not the connector, we've tried several - even splashed-out on a Hoselock  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:13:10 am »
Hi,

I personally swear by the 2.5 litre bowl for pigs, it is ideal for piglets, weaners, and adults and we have sold 100's of these.

It is designed for low pressure systems - so will work ok off a water barrel (as long as the water is clean with no solids to block the valve)

The end of the valve on these is brass and threaded 1/2" BSP - so any suitable 1/2" plumbing connection can be used.

Some points to note:
1) Keep visible pipework as short as possible - the pigs may try to chew it if they get bored
2) Use fasteners and washers that appear far too big to attach to a wall or posts - the drinkers are incredibly strong, but if a full grown boar stands in one it may rip out of its fastenings if you dont.

At £22.50 they dont cost much more than a hoselock connector !

Nipples are better suited to a clean mains supply for use indoors.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:41 am »
i will second the water bowl less water running in the pen as well  they do chew the pipes though
Lyn try plumbers thread tape to stop the water leaking out the joint   sometimes compression fittings need a bit of help as well :farmer:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49:21 am »
Save your money and dig a hole and fill it with water. Yesterday we saw 6 piglets just days old - outside and going from the mum's nipples to a puddle.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:27:24 am »
Save your money and dig a hole and fill it with water. Yesterday we saw 6 piglets just days old - outside and going from the mum's nipples to a puddle.

They like that as well - its a wallow.

But under animal welfare all livestock must have access to CLEAN drinking water at all times.

Im sorry but giving them only a wallow to drink will encourage the ingestion or re-ingestion of any worm eggs.

Thanks

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:23:38 am »
SfS  :wave:

I would love to purchase a couple of these drinkers from you, I have attempted to place an order thro your site tonight, but unfortunately you don't have Renfrewshire as an option & I can't get any further - HELP!
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:40:21 am »

I would love to purchase a couple of these drinkers from you, I have attempted to place an order thro your site tonight, but unfortunately you don't have Renfrewshire as an option & I can't get any further - HELP!

Sorry, now added Renfrewshire as a shipping zone.
Thanks

pin

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:25:38 pm »
Thank you all.

I didn't realise you could use a barrel with the drinker, that will be a good idea once the piglets can go outside.

We have a hook on bucket and a self fill from main supply in a different spot for our sow.

I think we'll just resort to a roasting tin or dog bowl weighted down at first.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:33:40 pm »
Pin,
My weaners are 9 weeks old and they use a washing up bowl with a heavy stone in it. Tried without the weight the first day and they turned it over but they haven't managed it since I put the stone in. I am finding that I only need to replenish the water twice a day and thats more because its dirty than that its all gone.

So I think the roasting tin with a weight should work fine for your smaller piglets.

Mine will be going into their permanent pen soon (as soon as OH finishes the fencing) and then I will arrange something else. I quite like the 2.5 litre bowl that SfS is talking about.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »

Sorry, now added Renfrewshire as a shipping zone.
Thanks

Cheers - order being done tonight  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS