Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Hubbard dispatched  (Read 3014 times)

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
First Hubbard dispatched
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:08:26 am »
Our Hubbards were 10 weeks old last wednesday and looked as they were nearly ready for the pot. One of the cockerels has always been fairly aggresive and has been pecking the others so his card was always marked as being first. This morning he was dispatched and I have just finished plucking and drawing him, finished weight oven ready is 2.3kg which I an very pleased with. He will be Sunday lunch tomorrow and will let you know how tasty he is.

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: First Hubbard dispatched
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:13:09 am »
Well done Andrew & Janis, hope he tastes good, ours going next week.
Jo

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:24:13 pm »
Well Andrew...... How good was he?  I am dying to get some on the next run but I am scared after that I wont be able to go back to the shop ones....

I hope you enjoyed your Sunday lunch.   :chook:

Let us know how you got on.....!

Gillian

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:03:58 pm »
He was absolutely delicious but was Monday night's dinner as opposed to Sunday lunch. Huge amount of very tender and flavoursome meat. I also had quite a bit in a sandwich at lunchtime today. I am still not convinced that it has been worth all the work involved but will fully evaluate when all are dispatched and in the freezer.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 03:24:54 pm »
i know what you mean andrew, it does seem like a lot of work - and it's not any cheaper than popping down and just buying a coupe of free range, corn fed breasts

guess it's just a lifestyle thing, knowing you bred the animal, looked after, watched it potter about etc

i think once you get into the routine of doing it, it might not seem like such a workload.

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 04:27:08 pm »
i would love to try raising some hubbards for the table but sadly i don't have a smallholding, just a rather larger than average back garden, so i don't have the space to take poulet's minimum order of 24 - does ANYONE live near to St Ives in Cambridgeshire who could help split an order with me?  My only other option would be to order more than i have space for outside, so i'd have to kill half of them at 5 weeks when they should be ready for going outside - which i'd rather not do!

Please please get in touch if you are able to help as i have heard so many good things about hubbards and poulet seems to be the only supplier !!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS