Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I the only one who does this?  (Read 6481 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Am I the only one who does this?
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:55 am »
I was chatting with a friend last week who was complaining about the recent wet wether and that her cat was coming in wet and with muddy paws which was making a mess of her beautiful home.

I enquired as to why she didn't towel the cat dry and wipe its paws and she looked at me as if I was mad and laughed saying "Oh you cant do that with a cat!"

I didn't mention that my cats have their own towel and purr loudly when I dry them off and wipe their paws.

I cant be the only one who does this can I ?

Buffy

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Am I the only one who does this?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:34:49 am »
One of my cats was longhaired and enjoyed playing in the rain. I thought it  just right to dry her than let her get chilled while drying off for hours after getting soaked through.  :thumbsup:
My 'sensible' little shorthair NEVER dreamed of going out in the rain  :cat:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »
My lot won't stand for it, though I try!
We sometimes have newspaper down, beyond the door mat to try and catch abit more of the wet & mud (and because the dog has an annoying habit of peeing by the mat!)

my mum always tried to dry off the cat - kitchen paper is less "offensive" as it apparently feels more like they are being stroked, and you don't have dirty towels (our cat seemed to collect those horrible tiny slugs!!)
Little Blue

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:36:25 pm »
Hummm,

perhaps I am the only one then :-\

This is perhaps because Ive never had cats before and they have never had a human? So neither of us have a preconcieved idea of what pet cats should do.

I suppose that you are going to tell me that taking them for a walk over the fields, teaching them to sit, beg, mew on comand and fetch is unusual too ???

At least Toby's toe licking fetish is completely normal  :P Phew

Buffy

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:51:19 pm »
I don't and it's not something I have ever thought of doing lol

Buffy is very cute. Bit like 2 cats I lost a few years ago.

Helen

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »
Buffy, whatever you and the cats do is totally normal ...
... its them others that don't understand!!

there's a bloke near us who has a handsome ginger cat, he walks it on a harness as they live on the main road.
Little Blue

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 08:16:30 pm »
Yeah - I towel dry my girl if she comes home very wet. She seems to appreciate it but then she is a fuss pot and adores any attention. I dont think she got much before we took her on.

She isnt so keen on foot wiping though!  :cat:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:47:36 pm »
Not too long ago my old crowd would run to me when they heard a crisp packet opened. 3 dogs and 2 cats sitting nicely giving a paw for a crisp. It was a lovely site. The cats  copied the dogs who were taught to give paws to get treats. ( naughty I know  ::) )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 02:11:32 am »
      I suppose that you are going to tell me that taking them for a walk over the fields, teaching them to sit, beg, mew on comand and fetch is unusual too ???
Unusual yes, unique no  ;D

Brendon loved a game of Fetch the Sweetie Wrapper, he could play it for hours.
All my cats have come for walks with me and whatever dogs were family at the time.  Not just across fields, neither. ;)
Early cats were taught to wait for their supper, just like the dogs.  Somewhere along that habit got broken...
Mew on command - maybe not exactly, but all my cats respond(ed) vocally when spoken to.  (It would have been rude not to, they said.)
Most of my cats travelled happily loose in the car; one also travelled with me and the dog in a light aircraft.  ("Victor Tango, are you the menagerie?"  "Affirm."  "Report to tower on landing - bring cat."  "Wilco.")

I've never needed to teach a cat to beg... rather, have tried to teach them to not beg... ;) :D

I never felt it practical (for me) to wipe feet and noses on entering the house, not for cats nor dogs, but that's just me.  It has always been a source of wonder to me that a cat can walk through a carpeted hallway, up carpeted stairs and across a carpeted landing, and still manage to put wet muddy footprints on the bed, the loo, the bath...  I always figured they must walk through the house on three legs, saving one dirty one for the territory-marking...   ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »
Our two outdoor cats have their own towel, and always come in to the house by the same door.  They are often scooped up in the towel with growls of 'gotcha' before they sit on the sofa.  When they have had enough of human company, they go out again to their own territory, and have a life of complete freedom.  :cat: :cat:
The old stray that lives in the garage now comes in for short visits but we are not on familiar terms ie cuddles (yet??)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:59:09 am »
Sally that has baffaled me too about the dirty foot prints on the be. Both the cats and the dog get dried off before coming in.
We've got two Burmese cats that think they are dogs, come for a walk with the dog.Even chase the dog when she is running for her ball
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »
Our two get a towelling if they come in wet, often that is up here too! usually the wife deals with them however i have had to take them one at a time and wash them down on the wheelie bin when they have been rolling in Mud. They, after a scrub with a wet cloth, towel them off. They are OK with it. Well, they still leave rabbit, rat and general remainders of fur at the back door for us!
Often wonder how they get the rabbit through the cat flap into the porch!
Rgds
Sskye.
Rgds
Sskye

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »
When Fred comes in wet, and being longhaired he comes in drenched, he jumps straight up to my hubby who either grabs a small towel or the kitchen roll and gives him a dry. If we didnt do this, the poor little man would be licking himself for hours and wearing his tongue out!!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »
At least 1 of ours gets dried with a towel most days. They go accross the river and always get wet. 2 being maine coon crosses and the other a Pure persian it usualy means some very soggy cats
Graham

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25:29 am »
Yep we towel the tootsies when it is wet and muddly.  If they have been rained on too they get a full towel tumble - daughter holds upside down in her arms wrapped in a towel whilst I dry between toes.  They never resist and now even spread their toes for the thorough drying off.  ;D ;D
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS