Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Britain braced for the coldest May in 100yrs  (Read 2721 times)

Victorian Farmer

Britain braced for the coldest May in 100yrs
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:14:39 am »
Although much of England and Wales will enjoy another fine and dry day with sunny spells, an area of low pressure to the NW will bring cloud and rain across Scotland, Northern Ireland and the far north of England today, accompanied by strong to gale force southwesterly winds. The rain will move south across all areas overnight and through Monday, followed by a return to cool and showery conditions until mid-week, then high pressure should return on Wednesday to calm the weather down a bit.

So for today, after a clear and chilly start, much of England and Wales will remain dry and sunny today. Northern areas will be sunniest this morning, with cloud thickening across northern England and north Wales later this afternoon, with rain developing across Cumbria by this evening, accompanied by a strengthening southwesterly wind. For Scotland and Northern Ireland, a cloudy day, with rain spreading in from the west accompanied by a strong to gale force southwesterly wind. The rain will be heavy and persistent in the west, lighter and more patchy east of high ground.

On Monday, the rain in the north will move south across England and Wales, tending to weaken as it does so, the far southeast perhaps staying dry until evening though. Brighter but showery conditions will follow from the north across central and northern areas, the showers could be heavy and thundery across southern Scotland and northern England.

Then Tuesday looks like being a showery day everywhere, showers will be heavy and thundery in the east and perhaps merging into longer spells of rain in the north - falling as snow over the Scottish Highlands. A drier day for all looks likely on Wednesday with some sunshine, as a ridge of high pressure builds in, though some isolated showers possible in the SE. Thursday and Friday at the moment are looking mainly dry for central and eastern areas, patchy rain in the north and west and perhaps a risk of showers in the far south.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:18:40 am by Victorian Farmer »

Victorian Farmer

Re: Britain braced for the coldest May in 100yrs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:24:43 am »
BRITS are facing the coldest May for over a CENTURY after experts predicted the miserable weather from this month is set to continue.The cool and wet spring is set to stay chilly - with even SNOW being forecast in some areas.

Temperatures of around 5C and under combined with bitter winds will hit the east of the country - expected to be the worst affected by the cold front.

The average May daytime temperature is usually about 15C across the UK.

But forecasters say the miserable weather could pave the way for a sizzling summer.

Piers Corbyn, of independent forecaster WeatherAction, said May will be the "coldest for 100 years with a record run of bitter northerly winds"He also said the last time the month of May had been as cold as the one predicted was in 1891.

Mr Corbyn said the reason for the chill was that fast currents of cold air from the North Pole would stick over the east of the country.We've had snow and torrential rain in April - and now forecasters warn that we'll have to contend with freezing temperatures well into May.

Independent forecaster WeatherAction has warned that May will be the "coldest or near coldest for 100 years", especially in the east of England, with "a run of bitter northerly winds" and snow at times.

Forecaster Piers Corbyn of WeatherAction.com told the victorian farmer: "If you're planning a holiday in May then it's a good idea to get out of Britain.

"In general, it's going to be cold - especially in eastern parts. The near continent won't be much better, so for a good chance of sunshine you'll need to head to the Mediterranean."

And despite rumours that miserable May might be followed up by a sizzling summer, Mr Corbyn says that early signs indicate that we shouldn't get our hopes up.

He said: "We haven't yet completed our summer forecast so can't predict what the weather will be like for the Olympics. But there's no basis for saying that we're going to have a good summer and, at this point, it's not looking like it will be a scorcher."

He said: "The reason is the jet stream which looks like it is going to stick over that part of the country, holding cold air in place."

He added that western parts and Ireland should escape the worst of the freezing temperatures and are likely to experience warmer temperatures during the day.

However, the Met Office is slightly more optimistic that things could warm up towards the middle of May.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:17:41 pm »
well that will be similar to last year in scotland :D :farmer:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:35:20 pm »
It's actually a relief to hear that - I know spring came a lot earlier last year in Suffolk - I've been looking at the trees that are still in bud, and wondering if I'd drastically underestimated the effect of altitude on the climate (I'm several hundred feet higher than I was in Suffolk).

Question is do I dare plant my caulies out yet - or will we get another frost.

m

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:42:13 pm »
Mab, remember the old saying ne'er cast a clout until May is out.

My hanging baskets and window boxes are looking lovely but they are all still in the greenhouse and will stay there for a couple more weeks yet

Sally.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »
I reckon 1degree C colder and 1 week later spring for each 100m (300ft) up. Works between my parents place and mine, theirs is similar latitude but 600ft lower.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS