Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pour on guns  (Read 3538 times)

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
pour on guns
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:47 am »
Are all pour on guns multi fit?
ie will the crovect gun fit/work fine with dysect sheep pour on?
ta
Sheep

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: pour on guns
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:29 am »
Morning. Dont know about all guns, but when i bought some crovect last month the seller had run out of guns. He managed to find another makers gun that fitted the crovect cap and gave it to me for free. If you have a spare cap why not take it with you to try out. good luck  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »
I really don't think it is advisable to use different guns with pour-ons.  Each product has specific nozzles and instructions for specifically that product, and they are very different.  The Crovect gun has three ways to be used, depending on whether you are protecting against or treating flystrike, or protecting against ticks & lice.  Vetrazin is used differently and has a different applicator again.

thenovice, I would say that your supplier wants a serious ticking off - they should know that Crovect needs its own specific nozzles.  Fitting the top of the container is simply not good enough.

These products are extremely noxious to the sheep, to you, to your shearer(s) and to the environment, and none of them are cheap.  It is surely worth getting the correct applicator to ensure that you are applying it correctly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »
To be fair, we found some crovect nozzles, and i have used the product several times before. I do agree that using products like this is a serious matter, but when you have to treat some flystrike quickly you dont have time to worry about ethics  ;)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 02:31:46 pm »
All i know is, always use the gun that is designed for the product ;) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS