Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Isolation Facility  (Read 3677 times)

princesspiggy

Isolation Facility
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:06:18 am »
im trying to get my isolation park set up so we can show this year without too many restrictions.
who do i contact again please?
Animal Health passed me onto Scoteid who told me to get a new holding number from Rural Payments?
Getting a bit confused, cos i cant remember the right term to use on the fone.  ::) ::) 8)

can the isolation unit include other animals? we are going to a show wth a few different species, and a week later the piglets are ready to leave, so dont want to be shut down for weeks.
thankyou !  :wave: :wave: :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Isolation Facility
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:27:12 pm »
Speak to your vet, in England anyway they do all the paperwork and checks and send it off to Animal health who then issue you with an isolation unit number. Don't know about diferent species you'll have to talk to them about it.
Sure Lillian & Robert will know what happens in Scotland.
In Scotland they are called "Separation facilities"
see http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/animal-welfare/Diseases/MovementRestrictions/SeparationAgreements
HTH
Mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:32:20 pm by Fowgill Farm »

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »
your first point of contact is your local eh man/woman if they say don't know  tell them to get of there arse and get the paperwork  that is what they are paid for
now at this point  i would recommend anybody that has animals to apply for an isolation unit or separation facility's it does take time to get set up and apply but well worth it
i am sure our one came from gala or they had a hand in it    anyway ours is in hand and current and we had all the refusals and non comprendie so they should be able to help   if not contact us and we will get the ball rolling for you :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:42:54 pm »
If you look on the Scottish Pig keepers website here http://www.scottishpigs.co.uk/showingrequirements.htm there's a link at the bottom of the first paragraph which will link you to the application form  ;) Fill it out and send it to your local SGRPID office (you'll get a link to them on the 'Keeping pigs' page if you need it  :thumbsup:)
I just scanned last years application before I sent it, printed it out this year and changed the dates - it was fine  ;) :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »
thanks.
i thought there was a form somewhere so will try that.
do u then get a separate holding number?
ta x  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »
no you should not   get another  number your present holding number will be listed on the OFFICAL document that gala will send you  identifying the specific area that is the isolation facility    and they do check on you  if not run correctly you can be stripped of the facility   :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:22:19 pm »
thanks robert. i thought they were leading me on a wild goose chase and it seems i was right.
ta  :wave: :wave:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 01:40:35 am »
You soon find out that the Civil Servants who answer the phone do little more than you'd do yourself - they look it up on the internet, too! As said above, the quickest way is to contact your own vet (who will probably end up doing the inspection on behalf of Animal Health).

Here are the broad guidelines, as I was given them when I was researching the subject for the Haynes Pig Manual and the July issue of Country Smallholding:

Getting an approved isolation unit   
It doesn't cost anything to have an existing building or outdoor area approved. All you have to do is contact your local Animal Health office and an inspection will normally be carried out by a local vet, who will check that certain criteria are satisfied. These criteria include:
•   The unit must only ever be used for isolation
•   It should ideally be a building separate from any other housed livestock
•   The floors and walls must be in good condition and easily washed and disinfected
•   Disinfectant footbaths must be provided at the entrance
•   Staff must use dedicated protective clothing, and protective clothing should be provided for visitors
•   No other animals should come into contact with manure or effluent from the building
Outdoor isolation units are possible but:
•   Paddocks must only ever be used for isolation
•   They must be physically separate from any land or buildings used for other livestock
•   There must be a minimum distance of 3 metres between the perimeter of the isolation paddocks and any other livestock. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:05:11 pm by Tudful Tamworths »
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »
thanks liz, thats very helpful.
 :wave: :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:02 am »
Just to add to this Julia  :wave:

I got my (lapsed  :-[ ) renewal approved within a week of applying  ;D just ready for the show season  ;)

If this helps - I downloaded a google earth piccy of our holding to include with the plans (I can't draw to save my life, let alone to scale  ::) )

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS