Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lazy Dog  (Read 6839 times)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Lazy Dog
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:53:43 pm »
Have purchased a Lazy Dog dock weed removal tool and have been using it ( can do little else in this weather ). Quite impressed with the tool, lifted a lot of dockers in a short space of time and have tipped them in to a wooden crate to hot compost.
A right tool made in Gods own County, Yorkshire.  ;)
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Lazy Dog
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:11:59 pm »
So what do they look like, as I need to find OH some jobs and that sounds right up his street. ;D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:57 am »
Put Lazy Dog in to Google and it will come up. The chap who designed it is called Philip, has a farm with Soil Association Organic Standard and designed this tool for RIP (Removal of Individual Plants) without the use of chemicals. It is a stainless steel lattice frame with interchangeble heads and a double handle. With your foot press the fork under the dock root, lever the tool back and lift the whole thing up and put the docker into a bucket, all WITHOUT BENDING ONES BACK!
There is a lot of informative instruction about weed control on both his web site and with the tool. I would highly recommend one to anybody with an area of land to control.
A son of the soil .

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:52:03 am »
I've had a look at the website and can't really see the difference between the lazy dog and the fork I've already got.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mel

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:24:13 am »
I've had a look at the website and can't really see the difference between the lazy dog and the fork I've already got.
Quite!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:14:57 pm »
My wife bought a Fiskars weeding tool which goes over the weed, grips the roots and then levers them out. As advertised on TV it does actually work, but you need to be careful with it. The jaws are stainless steel but the rest is plastic and having read the literature very carefully, expecting it to come with the usual Fiskars 10 year guarantee, I find it doesn't have any guarantee specified.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »
There is a lot of difference from using a fork, it works a lot easier, quicker and is not going to break. I have had a serious problems with dockers and dandy lions and digging them out, I have ended up using a large screw driver because I have snapped everything else. Now found a tool that works and is manufactured from proper material, not foreign monkey metal and plastic. Will now confidently get in front of the weed problem.
A son of the soil .

Bangbang

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »
Hi Odin,

We have a dock problem up here. How does the tool do on gravelled areas ?

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:49 pm »
Not tried it on gravel ? However, the tool comes with 2 inter-changable heads that are both narrow; one is a 3 prong fork, the other is more of a hoe with a slot, I reckon it would work.
A son of the soil .

Bangbang

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:01 pm »
Cheers Odin!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:40:25 pm »
Bye gum, I've lifted some dockers out with this tool, in fact it is becoming an obsession and should come with an health warning, its a bit like a computer game. Sometimes I start on the smallest of dock leaf and out comes an enormous root system that looks so evil, if it had teeth it would bite my arm off ! I try to limit my self to a half hour but often go an hour and a half. Don't tell that Robert Waddell chap but sometimes I can feel a blister coming on and he might think I'm soft, so I have to stop, also my tea is on so I don't want to be late for our lass, (she wears the trousers when I'm not in  ::)  )
A son of the soil .

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:20:22 pm »
wish this site had a 'like' button! :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup: .  Looked at these but bought a cheaper 'Granpas weeder' in the end. Similar design but smaller and more suited to lawns than fields methinks - does emerging thistles a treat but not all docks..  I will have me a lazy dog one day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS