Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wood ash  (Read 3780 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
wood ash
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »
just had the new stove on first time - I want to put the ashes in the garden. Is there anyting I have to consider? Which plants like it best, which don't?  :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: wood ash
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »
I always add wood ash to my onion bed, along with manure and seaweed meal.  I also put it around the rootrun of stone fruit trees eg plums, damsons and gages.  Pasture likes it too.  I add some to the compost I use for growing my tomato plants - I forgot this year so that is perhaps why my tomato plants are looking a bit of a dodgy colour right now.

Wood ash is also great as a dust bath for hens, as long as you can keep it dry, and seems to help them get rid of any parasites.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:34 am »
Fruit bushes benefit from wood ash.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:28:00 am »
They showed on The Beechgrove Garden that wood ash is great on asparagus beds - I don't have asparagus though as I have too many weeds  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 01:09:56 pm »
same here... :'(I missed the spring tidy so now there's only dock and nettles growing where Asparagus was last year... :&>

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »
Use only natural untreated wood for your  burning , no painted , creosoted ,tanalized or salt preserved stuff & don't use oils or firelihghter stick to get the wood burning use paper crackers & thin kindle sticks instead or a gas poker./ gas blowlamp  .

The ash is high in potash , so if you sus which plants like a healthy dose go for it . A sprinkle of wood ash when sowing carrot sed in a fine furrow is said to deter carrot fly . It cetainly helps to have a teaspoon of the ash and mix in the carrot seeds , then sprinkle sow along the line because it helps you sow them thinly.

I was once told that laurel and yew are not the best of ashes to use but I've not read it in any decent reference books.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS