Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Perch Height  (Read 4025 times)

pig_lady99

• Joined Apr 2009
Perch Height
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:16:00 am »
Hello

A mad question but I was thinking about it last night whilst falling asleep and thought I would come on here and ask for advice. My other half is doing a fab job of making a chicken house and its great. We are at the stage were we need to put our perches in but I have a silly question to do with the height of it.

How high should a perch go in the house for Rhode Island Reds and does the high make any difference if they have their wings clipped, are they able to jump up the same height without their winds for a bit of lift? (I know they still have their wings when they are clipped but do they not have so much thrust if they are clipped????)

I did warn you it was an odd question.

Thanks in advance.

Pig Lady x  :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Perch Height
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 04:08:14 pm »
Not sure if this answers your question because our hens aren't wingclipped but the perches in our house are at elat 2ft off the ground - I'll emasure it later and if it's not 2ft, I'll tell you. Even our fattest, oldest hens can get up and perch quite happily - none use the nest boxes or the floor, which surprised me a bit.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:23:17 pm »
One of mine uses the nest box which is on the floor, Jamie and the other two girls jump onto the perches which are 2ft, 3ft and 4 ft, plus I have a shelf along one side which they use too - about 2 ft off the floor.  The ex batts are still in my big shed - no perches but a tarp covering a number of boxes and objects - so graduated levels for them.  Again one sleeps in the nest box on the floor.  I have 6ft dog runs right round so fairly secure.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pig_lady99

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:14:40 pm »
Thanks you. We made the decision and went for a 2ft height perch. We collected the chickens on Sunday and that evening they all seemed very happy with it. If anything they would rather be in the house on the perch then outside in the sun in their run, they just need to get used to their new surroundings (I hope!).

Thanks  :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS