Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Struggling  (Read 5238 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Struggling
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:55:22 pm »
I think we are going to be really struggling to get much in the way of crops this year. A month ago I sowed radishes, salads, broad beans, peas, turnips, carrots, spinach beet, beetroot, spring onions etc. Only the beans, radishes and salads have come up. I would normally  expect to be harvesting radishes and salads by now. All that has managed to grow in a month are the seed leaves. :'(

This weather is Rubbish!!! Anyone else finding their garden just isn't growing?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Struggling
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:59 pm »
Me!!
And I was thinking it's just me being rubbish. I've got some teeny shoots but....

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:24:33 pm »
Where my garden is going to be is still full of building 'stuff' as the weather has been so bad that OH hasn't been able to do much - except get my piggies new house and pen ready...bless him.

i really want to get some rubarb in as it's worth it's weight in gold.. I paid £2.99 a kilo at the local village green grocers last week - enough to make two puds cost me £11.0!!!!Ouch...

last years plot is now in the new pig pen so am going to put runner beans in the little bit of flower garden i've managed to get started on - but this wet cold weather is not helping.
You are never to old to learn something new

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:02 am »
I have two troughs of salad leaves which are showing through although the third (sowed a few days later) isn't yet.  No sign of my chives or chard.

Mel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:22 am »
Vss,I am so glad I planted by broad beans in October!,they are about the only veg that is doing any good,my tomatoes are about 6/8 inches tall though seeded in the house,everything else from the polytunnel is very slow,sweetcorn is about a foot now,chillies,lettuce are still tiny and some have completely given up,I planted some aubergines and still waiting for them to come up  :-\ I also have a problem with my beetroots!

Trouble is there is not enough light or heat,the morning glories have their third set of leaves,but I only managed to save half of them,dyed,my rhubarb is growing but at the moment is less than half the size it was last year and still quite spindly :'(

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:25:56 am »
Same here.

Had to seed everything in the polytunel this year as the house is being rebuilt and everything is very slow. Tomatoes - tiny still - and the cucumbers and yellow peppers didn't come at all. Aubegines just peeping up but look frost damaged!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:24:59 am »
Dreadful so far my veg garden is under 2 or 3 inches of water and far too soft to venture on to.
My potatoes are sprouted and ready to go in, normally i put them in on Good Friday but constant rain has mean't they're still sat waiting, think i'll resort to grow bags for them!
The greenhouse is bursting with stuff to go out though have lost a couple of courgettes to the minus five frost the other night, soft stuff tomatoes, courgettes, squashes etc are all really slow its juts not wet or light enough. 
Did manage to get muck up to the polytunnel and that awaits the aforementioned soft stuff but its far too cold to risk it. The joys of living in the North east!
lets hope we get an indian summer in lieu!
Mandy  :pig:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:39:00 am »
Not a seed in the ground yet  :o

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:52:21 am »
Every year is like that here, so I start most things off either indoors, in a heated propagator, or in the polytunnel.  Most things catch up with The South eventually and we do get crops - usually.  There was one year when we lived in Edinburgh and had a couple of allotments, when we had a sea fog which went on for over a month - most crops rotted or failed to grow, but most years we get something, although we never get everything.
I suppose I have the advantage of expecting the weather to be rubbish so I am prepared for it, whereas this rain has come at completely the wrong time for you guys further south. I hope it improves soon.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:23:30 pm »
even the seeds in the greenhouse seem sloooooowww!!
Just hope it'll all catch up eventually...
Little Blue

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:56:52 pm »
Onions and garlic growing well outdoors but everything else from beans to peas and broccoli are growing in pots in the Jungle  house until the weather improves.
Tried tomatoes outside for a few hours on Tuesday as it was fairly warm but they have gone down hill after a few gusts of wind hit them  :pig: just wish some good weather would arrive now.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:14 pm »
umm, all good here, in the beds so far, kale, sprouts, brocolli, spinach, broadbeans, leeks, garlic, onions, all doin ok, i know im south west but the warmth IS coming, definite change in the weather over the last few days. be patient i reckon, its late but the seeds will all catch up. i think its going to be a roasting summer, rooks are high in the trees. ;)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
Not a seed in the ground yet  :o

Me too.  Idid put some spuds in but I expect they have rotted! Still feels like March here, so I'm ignoring the name of the month and waiting to feel some warmth on my back!  Even my sprouting seeds on the windowsil have given up the ghost and gone mouldy (they might have been OK in the winter when we had the woodburner going but the house is a steady 13 degrees at mo!!!).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:25:15 am »
I hadn't made the connection but my rhubarb is spindly this year.  It probably thinks it's to early in the season to be making much effort.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 01:26:05 pm »
Three days of inpenetrable thick sea fog  :( :( but today it is a clear blue sky like Greece  :D :D.  No wonder our poor plants don't know what to do - loads of beans, courgettes, pumpkins have rotted in the greenhouse, and yes, the rhubarb is pathetic too.  But sunny days ahead  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS