Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To castrate or not to castrate  (Read 2445 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
To castrate or not to castrate
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:19 am »
Hi there - some advice would be welcome....

We have a 3 day old ram lamb who is a reasonable pedigree. We would like to make a decision about whether he should be for meat or perhaps have a longer life as a breeding ram (if we get a fresh lot of ewes later or decide to try to sell him on). I would very much like to make this decision on conformation/temperament etc when he has grown up a bit rather than simply because he is a boy.

His dad is a real gentleman and I am hoping his genes come through to make this boy a keeper.

His 2 half sisters are also good pedigree and are really bouncy and strong so are definitely staying with us. They are all GFD

Can we leave him entire and make a decision at meat weight whether to keep him or eat him or do we have to castrate now? Would we then have to slaughter at a certain age limit to avoid taint in the meat like in pigs? Would he be able to share a field with his dad when he is weaned and grown up a bit or would they fight?

Thanks

Pip

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Re: To castrate or not to castrate
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:17 am »
I always keep my GFD ram lambs entire, as it is impossible to tell how they will shape up before the registration forms have to be in. I usually have an idea and apply for a couple then present a selection for inspection in the autumn. Any not making the grade are usually gone to the abattoir by christmas. Taint only occurs in sexually mature animals in the presence of females, so sending on in the spring should avoid that . He should be able to share a batchelor pad with his dad, just watch he doesn't get muscled off the food!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:16:36 am »
Perfect! Thanks for that! That makes it an easy decision then. The pure breed lambs stay with us until registration time when we make a decision on them and the cross breeds (shetland cross GFD - very cute, very strong hassle free lambs.....so a real shame) all get banded if they are boys.

What age do they have to be registered?

We dont have a couple of the mums certificates. Are the GFD's kept on line now or can you still get certificates for them?

P

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:33:32 am »
We don't castrate our GFD boys and we tend to keep them on until around 18 months.
The hogget meat is delicious - no sign of any taint.

I must admit we originally did try and castrate the boys but found that quite often it was very tricky to do on GFD's as the testicles hadn't descended in time.  :o

You have an option to get the boys inspected in their first autumn or, if you prefer, when they are around a year old. The registration forms are usually sent out to DSBA members in June for return by early July.

Getting certificates has been a bit of an issue in recent years but it is getting better. Have a word with the breeder you bought them from or speak to Patrick (the secretary).

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:10 pm »
Inspections will only be carried out in the autumn now as the spring inspections just did not work!
I am assuming the ewes have certificates, but you have yet to see them? They would have been born in 2008/2009 when we were deciding what to do after double tagging, so no females from those 2 years have breed tags. If you contact Patrick he should be able to tell you what he has on the grassroutes system under your name, then you can let him know if that is correct. Registration forms will be out as soon as they are printed....
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS