Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Life as an Animal  (Read 6575 times)

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
My Life as an Animal
« on: April 17, 2009, 09:33:06 am »
Did anyone watch this last night. I sadly missed the first part of the program, but what I did see was interesting. The piggy "vocabulary" expert had me laughing - in a nice way !!

Hopefully will be able to catch up on iPlayer later.  :pig: ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7998780.stm
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

DavidnChris

Re: My Life as an Animal
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:46:18 am »
I watched this and frankly couldn't see the point of it. Most people are now aware of the way pigs are reared, thanks to Jamie Oliver.
I hope the actors / presenters involved had had plenty of injections before they smeared themselves with pig dung and urine.
I would like to know who was at the back of it, were they vegetarians, and is there a hidden agenda to make people feel guilty about eating pork and bacon ?
Next week should be interesting when they live as a horse, someone gets a really good kick, I would doubt that many of us would expect anything less when we go running round a stable in the dark, I certainly don't need a TV programme to educate me that I would get kicked.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:55:09 am »
i didn't see if but i thought a total waste of time and money to make this program what was the point of it?

Linz

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »
I did see the programme and agree with previous posts - could not see the point of it. There seemed to be no real reason for the programme other than the now typical cheap television. I'd have been happier watching the stockman relate his experiences of working with pigs!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:50:25 pm »
some people will do anything to get on tv.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:57:57 pm »
I dont think the point was to put people off eating pork, nor do i think it was especially shock people about how pigs were reared.
The way it came across to me was, that they were trying to humanise the feeling people have towards animals in general, hence the ongoing series featuring other species. In my view it's about all round welfare and trying to make people think how they would like to be treated if they where an animal.

I admit it was gimicky and that binbo should never have been anywhere near pigs.

The man behind it was Terry Nutkins - wildlife presenter.

The bottom line surely has to be any press for outdoor pig farming has to be good press?

sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:19:55 pm »
I thought "what the point? We are humans so are needs are different to pigs!!!!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »
people living as animals, do animals feel the need to live as humans? why do humans feel the need to live as animals, to subject ourselves to the conditions we impose on the mammals that we manipulate for our own consumption. the food chain. i take your point BillyBerridgeb

sandy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:47:38 pm »
Whats next? living like a cabbage? i sometimes am a bi like a spud!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 08:11:10 am »
Overeating last night - this morning I look like a Pumpkin.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »
Can I volunteer to live like a cabbage please.  Instead of Rushing around all day caring for animals, children and husband and work of course I could relax and do nothing - I'm phoning Terry Nutkin now!!!

sandy

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:58:46 am »
Hink I would have to be a free range cabbage, not in a row with other same sized super model cabbages, just on a unkept plot, well manured (I like my food) and with loads of pace around me until my time comes to join the pot!!!!

SmallHolderVirgins

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 05:00:52 pm »
It was only by pure chance that I managed to catch the one with the dogs and like a lot of previous posters really couldn't see the point at all in the programme.

I would no sooner get down on my hands and knees and sniff a hounds bottom that I would smear myself in piggy poo.

sandy

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:05:24 pm »
I thought what a poinless programme, must be short of ideas!!!! I did watch Grand Designs again, not sure where it was but it was a stunning seaside home, totaly different if not opposite to the woodmans cottage but I loved it, will find out where it was but it must have cost a bomb!!!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 04:28:43 pm »
last night was penguins and seals. was watching if for about 15 mins before i realised (a) what i was watching and (b) what a load of bull it was.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS