Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vets visit  (Read 11240 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: vets visit
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »
Thank goodness you caught it early - do you know where she may have picked up the red worm.  Is it on your land somewhere?  Do you check for worms first then dose if they have any?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »
The vet says its just one of these things. We had their dung tested a while back and they do an egg count at the lab. We were told the count was very low so not to "worm" them. I went to see her again today and she was so much more like her wee self. We had her out in the field and she even found time to flirt with the boys in the adjoining field ha ha. She so wanted to get off the rope and go for a run as she must be feeling stir crazy as she is not used to being indoors for any length of time. She has at last started doing the toilet and is eating normally now too. I would hope she is ready to come home in the next few days.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
Oh, I'm sooo pleased fro you James.  I look forward to meeting her and the others when we come up for Sandy's ducks (that is providing she lets me come with her - I think there's a queue, we may have to hire a minibus :-) )
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

LockerbiteReiver

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »
Great to hear she's much improved.  I'm all for happy endings  :)  :horse:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 09:05:13 pm »
Glad she's on the mend.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 09:28:37 pm »
There is still no sign of Darcy coming home. Spoke with the vet earlier and although they are delighted at her progress they do not want to let her home too early. They still do not know exactly what was wrong with her and the fact she was at "deaths door" they want to monitor and keep a very close eye on her. Today she came off the anti biotics and her course of worming medication is up tomorrow. She is eating, drinking and doing the toliet normally again, once she starts biting at them they will know she's back to normal ha ha. I would hope she gets home at the end of the week but we will have to wait and see.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 11:20:06 pm »
Hi James, I'm so glad things are looking good! I heard today of one pony near us who died from it and one fell ill today - the girl I spoke to called it "grass colitis", I think. Are the worms actually causing it?
How's the duck? :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 07:04:22 am »
Kerstin - They really don't know. Yes she had masses of worms but if she has them so will the other 3 and they are not ill. The vet yesterday said she is lucky to be alive with how ill she was on Friday, that is why although she is much better they want to keep her in for observations. They are afraid that they let her home and once the body is clear of everything they have pumped into her she just gets unwell again.

The duck has started her anti biotic and the majority of the drakes go tonight. The last few days I have been separating the girls from the boys so hopefully she will stop hurting herself.

Freddy and Gizmo have settled in beautifully, now been here 2 weeks. Rosie has really started bonding with them and acting like mum. Toggi is good with them too but every so often the 2 older ones take themselves off and hide for some peace and quiet. The 2 boys are growing so fast but they are so happy and are a firm favourite with the customers in the beer garden, Gizmo especially likes to sit on peoples knees!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:18:03 pm by jameslindsay »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 10:55:31 pm »
Good news, we are going to collect Darcy and bring her home tomorrow.  :horse:

sandy

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35:09 am »
Thats good news, nice to have everyone back in the fold!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »
Well done - hope she's on the way to a complete recovery.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS